Fat trimmings on splits when cooking brisket?

sandro

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I was watching Jeremy Yoder's video a couple of days ago where he mentioned that some BBQ joints in Texas drape fat trimmings over the splits when cooking brisket, and I remember Chuds pulling that same trick among many others in his video from a few months ago, and decided to give it a try.

Well, I've got to say, it does make a noticeable difference in taste. While not as dramatic as cooking it over direct heat, there is a hint of "grill flavor" on the bark. I'm unable to tell whether it's better or worse but it's definitely different and I'll be doing it again from time to time (on chuck too, given how expensive briskets are lately).

Has anybody else tried this and has opinions to share? What are your impressions, do you think it imparts a better flavor, makes no difference, or is it just a "je ne sais quoi" that you can live without?

Here are a couple of pics from yesterday's cook, and a short video I made of the process: https://youtu.be/Cam2iVC-o8s

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

Cooking notes:
* Angus beef brisket, Kansas Ranch, USDA choice, 14lb
* Smoker: Cactus Jack 16" Longhorn ProSmoke ed. + modified baffle
* Wood: oak (white, red, other local varieties)
* Rub: Bearded Butcher Black
* Temperature: 250f
* Time: 8 hours naked, 2 hours wrapped, 2 hours rest
* Wrap: yes, w/ tallow

Looks great! Been intrigued by this since chud’s bbq but haven’t had time to do a brisket on my pecos since then. Definitely want to give it a try! Also, subbed!

I've seen the idea mentioned in a Daniel Vaughn interview, but I can't recall who it was with. It's an intriguing idea but I don't think it's some big secret that a lot of joints are doing. I'd think I'd be able to taste it. I'm fairly certain Jirby did it in a few videos. It's maybe another tool in the toolkit but not necessary by any stretch.

I did it this past weekend on some porter road plate ribs and it seemed to make a difference. I couldn’t quite place it. But it was different and better. Of course it could of been the difference between the PR plate ribs and the creekstone short ribs I had prior??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I saw that on Jeremy's and Chud's videos. I'm intrigued and hope to try it soon.

What kind of tallow did you use for the wrap, and where did you apply it - to the paper or the brisket itself?

I saw that on Jeremy's and Chud's videos. I'm intrigued and hope to try it soon.

What kind of tallow did you use for the wrap, and where did you apply it - to the paper or the brisket itself?

I rendered half of the fat trimmings down into tallow, smoked it a couple of hours along with the brisket, and applied to the paper and the brisket itself

In Texas, barbecue joints have a real need to differentiate their product. So many are doing the same thing. John Lewis said the reason he left Austin for Charleston, SC, was " there's 50 people in Austin doing the same thing I'm doing " .

So anything coming out of central Texas has to be put into that perspective.

And I think this is something barbecue joints may want to do, but it doesn't interest me. I like the brisket I'm smoking now.

Aside from the trimmings on the splits, which I'm thinking must add something, one way or another. I like that you threw your trimmings into the smoker for a few hours and rendered down some talow while you got free heat. Use it all, however you want!

Aside from the trimmings on the splits, which I'm thinking must add something, one way or another. I like that you threw your trimmings into the smoker for a few hours and rendered down some talow while you got free heat. Use it all, however you want!

I used the pot heater on the firebox to render down the trimmings, then moved the tallow into the cooking chamber to soak up some smoke; better put that heat to good use indeed!

Back