How Long Can I Keep Brisket in my Cooler Before Serving?

slider2021

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My overnight cook was shorter than the time I allotted. My brisket was done by 8:30 am and my dinner isn't until 6 pm. I removed the brisket, unwrapped and rewrapped it in butcher paper. I then wrapped the entire thing in a blanket and I put it in my cooler, which is sitting in my dining room.

Now, here is my question - how long can I keep it in the cooler as is? If I place it in an oven, at what temp? Do I single or double wrap it (in butcher paper) when doing so?

Thanks

All day if you can wait that long. Me - I'd eat and probably tell my guests it wasn't very good.....then go to confession. Next time just avoid opening up the wrapped meat and potential bacterial contamination. I'd simply add another layer of butcher paper to keep juices from leaking everywhere then wrap in towels and place in cooler till dinner. Use a cooler only modestly bigger than the brisket or fill with towels to limit dead space. An all day 'hold' kept from cooling off too much - you'll be surprised how well it turns out.

Great suggestion about not unwrapping and simply add another layer of paper to the brisket. Being my first time making a brisket, I can see it is definitely a learning process. The blanket I used is very thick and big. It was large enough that I was able to double wrap it without any problem at all.

BTW - confession once and while I heard is good for the soul :)

Happy 4th!

Good morning. I hope everyone had a great 4th!

Well, I served it around 7 pm. I placed it in my cooler for almost 8 hours, wrapped in a blanket and butcher paper. I then removed it, placed it in my oven at 170 and left it there for about 3 hours. It came out and it was absolutely amazing! It was uber juicy, moist and fork tender. It pulled apart like tissue paper and the fat was rendered beautifully. The burnt ends were heavenly. The pics are of my and my brother (with the hat). He made pulled pork - which was also amazing.

Attachments

• BrisketEndResults.jpg
    BrisketEndResults.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 92
  • MasterSmokersatWork.jpg
    MasterSmokersatWork.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 90
tenor.gif

Back