Bandera Question

pigout sc

Knows what a fatty is.
I have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks and have learned a great deal from you all. I recentley purchased a Bandera that was on display at a local big box store (got a great deal). They left it out side during the day so some rust had formed inside the cooking chamber door, bottom and cooking rack holders (Light film in spots). My question is, Once I season the grill will the rust effect anything I cook or the performance of the grill? Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks

I would hit it with a wire brush and then coat with vegetable oil and fire it up. The little bit of rust will disappear.

your bandera will eventually rust out...it is not a high quality metal and not very thick. However, if you cook frequently, the "patina" of grease on the inside of the smoke box will keep it rust free. Regardless, the rust is harmless to you.
If your bandera is new, do yourself a HUGE favor and do the baffle modification on this site. It makes your temps easier to control and saves you the very not good experience of a grease fire when cooking pork and the grease runs down the right wall of the smoke box and catches fire.

Thanks. I have finished the fire grate and baffle modification and am close to firing her up!

I love my tw Deras they take a little work and the mods help a lot especially the baffle but they are good cookers for the money and can create some great Que.

Back