• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sammy_Shuford

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Totally messed up a BBQ?

I hate that when it happens, but

Life is Life, more Q this weekend!

I made a kind of pork jerky out of three slabs of spare ribs a few weeks ago. I had them on the Grargriller and was too busy with my new WSM.

I royally farked my sons first birthday earlier this year. Started 4 butts the night before, fell asleep and woke up 6 hours later to a cold drum. Had my maverick setup but it never went off.:mad2: They must have hit the stall and killed the coals. I had no way to tell how long they sat in the danger zone so out they went. Luckily I had just stocked up on yardbirds and was able to cook enough for the crowd in time.

I've definitely had a few screw-ups. Left chicken breasts in too long before and we all know how that turns out. Over-cooked salmon and tuna steaks once or twice too and that's really a bummer. We're all human and when it happens to me, it's usually because I got distracted by kids or something else going on at home. It's like anything else, though. Without a few failures sprinkled in, the triumphs wouldn't feel as good.

Too low for too long and had to toss an entire butt. Which is why I now check all new thermos!!! Learned my lesson.

Yep, been there done that. Usually getting hit by a truck with a Budweiser license plate is the major fault!

I haven't messed one up yet but the time will come. I worked many years in restaurants and still do some part time work for a friend that is a chef. That gives me a base of experience with handling and cooking food.

A couple of weeks ago while smoking two racks of ribs I feel asleep and when I awoke the temp in my UDS had climbed up to 375Âş. I though they were toast so to speak but the ribs came out flavorful just a touch dry.

Rub too spicy, too much smoke, tough ribs, dry chicken. Yep.

I had tried to cook several racks of spareribs on a brand new smoker that I had never used. They were to be served at a rehearsal dinner. When I got done with them they were all charcoal lumps on my new smoker! I don't cook for other people on a new smoker for a few weeks, to break it in.

I've screwed up some grilled food but haven't screwed up que to the point it couldn't be eaten!! I tell people "The worst I make is that best you've ever had!!" :mrgreen:

Heck no, the first time I smoked chicken thighs I used way to many hickory chunks. Good thing I smoked a chuckie at the same time or it would have been take out pizza for dinner. My wife was really PO when I told her I had to toss all the chicken. She wanted to try one because she hates to waste anything and I wouldn't let her near them. Man talk about to much smoke, yuck!

Frankly this whole thread and poll makes no sense to me at all....

Yep, been there done that. Usually getting hit by a truck with a Budweiser license plate is the major fault!

I've seen that truck. I had a buddy call me one day and said he had a cooler full of beer on his pontoon boat going stale. I had to do my duty and help him. I grabbed 2 t-bones for the grill on the boat.Long story-short version. He called me 3 days later and said he found the steaks-still on the grill but juding by the smell the were not fit for his dog :laugh:

I guess I've been pretty lucky. The worst stories I have when guests are involved are some spares once that were on the tough side, and a brisket that had one side of the flat with a layer of char. Other than that, I've only screwed up things I was experimenting around with.

I guess I've been pretty lucky. The worst stories I have when guests are involved are some spares once that were on the tough side, and a brisket that had one side of the flat with a layer of char. Other than that, I've only screwed up things I was experimenting around with.

Experiments don't count as screw-ups!! They are EXPERIMENTS!! :twisted:

Back