Has anybody tried smoking beef tongue?

I've never tried tongue but probably would give it a shot if I had the chance. If I ever brought it home and threw it on the smoker though, my wife and daughter would NEVER, EVER eat another thing I cooked on it... :shock::heh:

I would skin it first if you are smoking it....Other wise you loose the smoke flavoring from the removed skin.....I love beef tongue for tacos and barbacao. Very good stuff if cooked right, but I have never smoked it.

I usually refuse to eat something that has been in someone else's mouth...

Tongue is a big thing in Germany and was the staple food for Christmas dinner with my German family. The first time it was set in front of me I nearly ran off to the toilet gagging. I really like the taste of it now, but still squirm a little at the sight of it, and I'm not squeamish about most things. For me, it's much better when cut into small strips or pieces and in

Not sure what everyone is paying, but it's running 6.99/lb here in the store. Love tongue tacos, but at 6.99.... Tri tip is usually 6.29 here

I usually refuse to eat something that has been in someone else's mouth...

Tongue is a big thing in Germany and was the staple food for Christmas dinner with my German family. The first time it was set in front of me I nearly ran off to the toilet gagging. I really like the taste of it now, but still squirm a little at the sight of it, and I'm not squeamish about most things. For me, it's much better when cut into small strips or pieces and in
How do you feel about eggs?

Good topic. I too have never tried it before. I recently ordered a quarter cow and asked them to give me the tongue- currently waiting in my freezer to be cooked up. Was going to go the taco route but now am thinking about smoking it. Maybe a dumb question- can it be smoked until tender or does it have to be finished in a braise or pressure cooker to get tender?

My mom used to cook it all the time when I was a kid.
Talked the family into letting me cook one once. That was it. No more tongue. :shock:

Good topic. I too have never tried it before. I recently ordered a quarter cow and asked them to give me the tongue- currently waiting in my freezer to be cooked up. Was going to go the taco route but now am thinking about smoking it. Maybe a dumb question- can it be smoked until tender or does it have to be finished in a braise or pressure cooker to get tender?

Not sure of the result but I think it's to lean to finish in the smoker.

I love a challenge (in both what I will eat and what I can smoke) and did one last year. I did quite a bit of research. Almost everyone does some combo of boil and smoke. I went with: boil first, skin the tongue, rub with my normal BBQ rub that had added mexican spices, smoke, slice thin, make tacos. It turned out fine.

The problem is I'm a "what is my time worth" guy. I would rather pay the extra $2.00 per pound and get a brisket or chuck. Boiling was a pain, skinning was even worse, trimming and cleaning it up was educational to say the least.

When they say slice thin, they aren't kidding. I tried to slice it a tad thinner than a brisket (pencil width) and it was a miss. It's moist but very dense. So dense that I then had to cube the slices. That texture in a taco was just plain weird.

Hope this helps!

Back