Gonna Bite My Tongue đź‘…

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Picked up some 0.77 cents per pound Pork Picnics over the weekend. This one store, United Amigos always has the interesting pieces and parts that I think can make cooking fun. Beef Cheek, Marrow Bones, hearts and my favorite for cubing into chili and stew the amazing beef tongue.
Cheapest tongue was $50. Hell thats a half tank of gas. And that’s what I did. Spent tongue money on gas.
Decisions were made.
Lingua rocks

You know Adams, the sad part is, a locker can't give the damn things away......Even Walmart sells them for ~$8 a pound. Every time I've bought beef from my buddies and they have a couple in the locker, I get all the tongues and all the livers. Nobody eats it except me I think! I'm not paying north of $35 for a tongue..........

Half a tank of gas?? That's more than a tank of gas for my little car even buying E0.

Prices on offal are weird here over the past year or two. Oxtail selling for more than ribeye, tongue $7-8/lb, shank $4-5/lb.

Found beef cheek under $3# but only bought one package. Guess I was in shock at tongue prices turned and walked away.

Found beef cheek under $3# but only bought one package.
Can't even find beef cheeks here. Something I really want to try too.
One year at my gramma's I was eating these tasty little 1/2" morsels out of a dish at Christmas. Asked gramma what the were. "Pickled heart and tongue" she said.
:shock:
Got a tongue with the meat when my dad had a steer butchered once. Tried making a tongue and lentil soup.
First time cooking lentils.
First time cooking tongue.
Even the dog wouldn't eat it.

Problem being .... once it becomes "Hip" to cook, the price goes up... Look at what happened to Tri-Tip and Brisket. Tongue is getting crazy, Heart soon to follow. Invest in Liver and Kidney before its too late

prices

I've been a little shocked lately. Not really followed corned beef prices, but at Costco, it has been more expensive than Prime brisket. Though I like corned beef and cabbage, think I would rather have the Prime brisket.

I'm not going to comment on gas prices, other than to say this made me pause and stare at the pump. $4.60 for 89 Octane in my 4Runner. In the last two weeks, seems like my wife's 91 Octane was $3.60.

Last edited:
Back