Offset smoker and the wind

Florida Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We live in Florida, near the beach, so I have to contend with the varying winds that come off the ocean every time i grill or fire up the smoker. I'm looking for a slightly larger offset and have considered building a wall around the patio but before i do ....

Does anyone know if there is a particular offset smoker that handles the wind better than the others? Brand/model?? Looking for something in the 48-60' range - patio type.

thank you

Depends on what brand smoker you buy.
Side intakes, door intake.
I'm sure one could be made for most any situation.
Mine is simple aluminum flashing I bent loosely around the handle above my intake.
It works great for me. When the wind blows, the flap only partially closes due to it's length/width. Still leaving plenty of intake opening. If that makes sense.

Attachments

• flapper door.jpg
    flapper door.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 196
I think they will all be somewhat affected by the wind. If you live in Melbourne then I assume it is almost always an east wind. I would just buy the smoker I wanted and either move it to a better location or do like other day and get something to block the wind.

Depends on what brand smoker you buy.
Side intakes, door intake.
I'm sure one could be made for most any situation.
Mine is simple aluminum flashing I bent loosely around the handle above my intake.
It works great for me. When the wind blows, the flap only partially closes due to it's length/width. Still leaving plenty of intake opening. If that makes sense.

This makes good sense. I was hoping some pit maker had possibly solved for this themselves. I swear I saw somewhere that Outlaw Smokers had done something to help with the wind but now i can't find it again. It could've been wishful thinking. Thanks for the tip.

I battle North winds rolling down Lake Michigan and sucking the life out of my big offsets all the time, I've owned all the Lang's 48"-108" and the winds would bring those to their knees sometimes when loaded up with meat for a catering job.

My newest addition is a 70" elevated cabinet from Shirley Fabrication with the 2" insulated firebox and it run's circles around the Lang's in high winds.

Between the area's of heavier 3/8 steel above the fire and the added efficiency of the insulated firebox it's been a game changer.

On day's at or near freezing temp's with 25-40 mph gusts I'd get 75* drops below average form the Langs and had to use ridiculous amounts of wood on the 84 and 108 to keep them 250-275* on the Shirley it's nothing more than one extra stick of wood size of a soda can every 30 minutes or so.

I'd imagine you can get similar results from other builders who offer an insulated firebox and something more than 1/4" steel in some areas.

Jambo and Rockin W Smokers have a plate in front of the intake.

IMG_2140_d400.JPG

This makes good sense. I was hoping some pit maker had possibly solved for this themselves. I swear I saw somewhere that Outlaw Smokers had done something to help with the wind but now i can't find it again. It could've been wishful thinking. Thanks for the tip.

They did, or do, it was the first one that I had seen.

Just found this on their website...

But it’s not the way I remember it

Last edited:
I think the current Outlaw is more like the Jambo, Rockin W Smokers type setup, all 3 are top flow and very similar, all of them come standard with an insulated firebox.

Outlaw's front load has the firebox intake underneath. Comp cookers I know with the front load say it works great in windy conditions.

rs=h:650,cg:true

Intake under the firebox? I'm guessing that would work. That is an awesome looking smoker. thank you!!

2 pieces of plywood cut a little taller than your intake pinwheel with a hinge in the middle and fold out as need be , use to use one all the time .

2 pieces of plywood cut a little taller than your intake pinwheel with a hinge in the middle and fold out as need be , use to use one all the time .

I have two 5x5 ft sections hinged in the middle...I use it to protect from the Kansas winds in the winter...I call it the great wall of BBQ...

Johnson Smokers designs work VERY WELL in the wind. I live in Jacksonville, NC just a few miles from the ocean, so I know your pain with the wind. The draft on my 24x60 smoker was super strong and I NEVER had any issues...not in heavy windstorms, not in the rain, etc.

You said 48" or 60" patio so this might work out well for you. It's a reverse flow cooker so every single inch of that cooking chamber is usable.

https://johnsonsmokers.com/rolling-patio-smoker/

Back