Homebrew WSM Controller v1.1

rksylves

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok, as promised here are some pics of my controller. I want to re-iterate that I got a good deal of the ideas from Bob Hruska and he was a lot of help in the process. Here's a link to his webpage that outlines in a bit more detail. Mine is different in that I control 2 WSMs at the same time and my software is different. There's probably 100 ways to do this, this is just one way.

http://hruska.us/tempmon/

My next direction is to add meat probes (you can see the "food" label on the side of the box) and be able to put in an alarm temperature. I also want to add a low WSM temp alarm. Then I can put my laptop next to me when I'm sleeping and have it start beeping if something goes wrong.

Here's the overall idea. Please excuse the messiness of the box. I've gone through several iterations and I end up adapting the box as I go. Someday I'll get around to milling a nice metal box.

PA010105.jpg

The box, connectors, and wall wart are genuine Radio Shack. The wart is 12v @ 500mA.

PA010102.jpg

The fan is a 9.6cfm from Digikey. The adapter is from Home Depot and I think is a piece of flue pipe. I made the mounting plates myself. It mounts to the WSM by removing the original vent cover and using threaded rod to run all the way through the fan backplate and into the vent center hole. You can see the rod sticking out of the back of the plate.

PA010104.jpg

Here the guts. The green board on the left is the display. The black round thing in middle is a very old optical encoder that I had leftover. There's several ways that the adjustments could be made. The PC board on the bottom of the stack is the Arduino Duemilanove board. The middle board is a WiFi board that is purely optional. The top board is an experimenters prototype board that has all my impeccably done wiring. Someday (notice a theme?) I want to just design a purpose built board which will reduce a ton of wiring.

PA010106.jpg

To everyone who has emailed me asking for more info, I will draw up a schematic in the next few days and post it. I'm a little busy getting ready for a comp. I will also share my software.

Russ

that is very interesting, I love it.

Thanks for sharing,

Mike

Thanks for taking the time. Trying to get my geek brother to build one. It is all greek to me.

Paul

Nice work! I wanted to go that route instead of the Stoker but I just don't have the time to put into it nowadays.

Yours looks like a great setup and a lot of fun to build with the added benefit of personalized code.

Great job! Looking forward to the schematic. The basic code would be more fun.

What's that R2D2 unit you've got this hooked to? Almost looks like my Weber Kettle.

I know it's off topic (which is very interesting)

But, Dang, I see WSM shelves in my future

I can't take credit for that idea either. I stole it from somebody else.

The brackets on the WSM are actually elcheapo garage door handles from Home Depot. I used threaded rod to run through the board and down into the holes in the brackets (handles).

The curve on the inside of the wood was drawn straight from the upper edge of the middle section of the WSM.

Russ

I recently bought a WSM and this thread caught my attention.

This is a very cool gadget! :-D

Back