A Pig Roast

L

luvinbbq

Going to my first one! What section of the Hog should I go for first?

luvinbbq said:

I'd say the one you can get to the quickest:wink:

pushing and shoving I fight my way to the front of the line. now what?

I'd go for the bacon/belly. Down where the light blue and green section is.

446px-American_Pork_Cuts.svg.png

Nice, Thanks SmokeInDaEye!
This little piggie's in trouble...

luvinbbq said:

7b13fbe7.jpg

Gotta agree with SmokeInDaEye, the side pork/spare rib meat is my favorite too .... Second choice is a tie, either some neck meat OR some of that darker "sweet meat" next to the bone lower down on the picnic. The hams and loins are usually drier than I like and the shoulders are usually not rendered the way I like them. As you can see, there are a lot of bones in the neck, you will need some tongs or two forks when rootin' around there. They don't call it a pig pickin' for nothing.

da9da3b0.jpg

QansasjayhawQ said:
I've heard the term "trots". What are trots?

Thanks!

/Brother Dave

Trotters are pigs feet. Wonderful old time flavor in beans and greens and such.

04e5fd8f.jpg

At my first pig pickin in South Carolina they had a side dish made from the offal left over from the slaughter of the hog. They called it "Hash", and while some are turned off by the origine of the protein matter that makes up this "hash" i found it to be the cats ass. after all it is the same thing that goes into Hotdogs! It is cooked with the same rub ingredients and BBq sauce that was used to season the hog and was great slathered on the BBQ or as a side with rice.
anybody else had any of this?

bittertruth said:
At my first pig pickin in South Carolina they had a side dish made from the offal left over from the slaughter of the hog. They called it "Hash", and while some are turned off by the origine of the protein matter that makes up this "hash" i found it to be the cats ass. after all it is the same thing that goes into Hotdogs! It is cooked with the same rub ingredients and BBq sauce that was used to season the hog and was great slathered on the BBQ or as a side with rice.
anybody else had any of this?

Hash is mainly a SC tradition.I live in the upstate and it varies up this way.Around here its mainly beef or venison hash with some pork in it for fat.Its simple onions and spices(some add potatoes) cooked down to mush served with rice or loaf bread.

Willy T.

Well the pig roast to say the least was a raging success. I mean tender and moist, wow. Unfortunately I got there a little late a couldn't figure out what was what but it was all tasty none the less. It was a catered party by havepigwilltravel.com, in New York city the guy knows how to roast a pig. that's for sure :) {He roasted it back in Jersey and brought it in and carved it. 50 pounder}

NEW YORK CITY????? Get a rope.:biggrin:

Glad you had a good time. I'll have to check those folks out.

Glad you liked it. I quit roasting pigs many years ago when I decided that I had a family to raise and partying all night every weekend was not what I should be doing. It was a blast back then and would probably be even more fun now that I have a better understanding of what barbecue really is. I live in hog raising country and butcher size pigs (180 lb. to 220 lb. live weight) are what is usually cooked around here. My old roaster (rotisserie model with an industrial gear reduction box and variable speed DC drive) is still sitting out in my friends grove at his farm. May have to resurrect "cooke de ville" this summer. Damn it man, that brings back memories. Very fond memories. May have to dig out some of the old photos and scan them. I was a biker in a previous life and we had some mighty fine get togethers. We had to take a picture of the pig's head with sunglasses, a bandanna, and a cigarette hanging out of his mouth every time. These were outlandish parties of overindulgence. Eat too much, imbibe too much and then sleep on the ground(In your tent of course, we did have some scruples).

Does this sound like a Brethren bash?
Never been to one in person.

Long post about old stories. Oh well. I enjoyed reminiscing.

Kevin, nothing wrong with fond memories of times past. Got a few of my own.

qman said:
Kevin, nothing wrong with fond memories of times past. Got a few of my own.

Me too.

Like waking up on the ground...with sunglasses and a bandanna on and a cigarette hanging out of my mouth. Glad you finally confessed, Kevin.

Any of you guys like crackling? Growing up, that was always my favorite part of the hog.

SmokeInDaEye said:
Me too.

Like waking up on the ground...with sunglasses and a bandanna on and a cigarette hanging out of my mouth. Glad you finally confessed, Kevin.

Been there more than once. But I'm more growed up now.

TygerSmokes said:
Any of you guys like crackling? Growing up, that was always my favorite part of the hog.

When I buy ribs here I have to buy then whole rib area inc skin and then butcher it myself as UK style ribs are really stingy witht he cut.

So I have a load of skin as a by product which I tend to cover in sea salt or a salty rub and roast in a hot oven over a pan of water until crispy as Chef Bites whilst smoking the ribs outside on the smoker!

Loved cracklins growing up myself. Haven't had any good ones in a number of years. Last year I picked some up on the way back from New Orleans.... worse chit I ever had. And they claimed to be the best.

I do love me some cracklins. There are a couple of places around here that you can still get em. Yum, Yum!!!

Kevin said:
Glad you liked it. I quit roasting pigs many years ago when I decided that I had a family to raise and partying all night every weekend was not what I should be doing. It was a blast back then and would probably be even more fun now that I have a better understanding of what barbecue really is. I live in hog raising country and butcher size pigs (180 lb. to 220 lb. live weight) are what is usually cooked around here. My old roaster (rotisserie model with an industrial gear reduction box and variable speed DC drive) is still sitting out in my friends grove at his farm. May have to resurrect "cooke de ville" this summer. Damn it man, that brings back memories. Very fond memories. May have to dig out some of the old photos and scan them. I was a biker in a previous life and we had some mighty fine get togethers. We had to take a picture of the pig's head with sunglasses, a bandanna, and a cigarette hanging out of his mouth every time. These were outlandish parties of overindulgence. Eat too much, imbibe too much and then sleep on the ground(In your tent of course, we did have some scruples).

Does this sound like a Brethren bash?
Never been to one in person.

Long post about old stories. Oh well. I enjoyed reminiscing.

Once a biker, always a biker....if only in spirit. Spent many nights my self sleeping on the ground after a pig roast, beer swilling, smoking, ah...the good old days!:biggrin:

Back