Getting Weber Kettle ready for smoking

42BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
First off, never smoked on a kettle before. Second, I'm on vacation and using the condo kettle so no permanent mods. Also, the chimney didn't make the flight so I have to improvise. Here are pics so far, starting two pork picnics tonight, each around 7#. more pics tonight when I fire up, stay tuned and wish me luck!View attachment 54146

Last edited:
The chimney substitute is two foil pans, one with a bunch of holes punched into it ( charcoal will sit on top) on top of a second Pam where I will burn newspaper under the coals. The foil wrapped divider will keep coals on one side, meat on the other. Found hickory chunks to add to coals. Will be using Everglades brand pork rub, any Floridians familiar?

I think all BBQ folks have a little MacGvyer in them. I am always amazed at the solutions you guys come up with.

Get'R'Done 42BBQ!

Looks like you've got a fine plan!

But.....errrrr.........what's with that there bottle of charcoal lighter fluid down there?:tsk:

:becky:

:laugh:

Greeting from back home in Pa. Looks like you are all set to cook up some good grub on vacation 42. Look foward to some more updates from you.

Awesome stuff - though I don't think you really need the red brick to separate the coals. Just pile em on one side.

Awesome stuff - though I don't think you really need the red brick to separate the coals. Just pile em on one side.

I agree with this, although I also understand about making a sort of heat shield to protect the picnics from the direct heat. Is that what that's for as well?

After thinking about it, your modified chimney won't really give the "chimney affect" that the real thing does. Hope it works out. You got a coffee can or something you could use around? You'll only really need a few coals to put on top of your unlit ones. OR.....you have a torch of any kind that you could just light some coals on top of the pile?

Your idea may work, just may take a while is all. And, hopefully the aluminum isn't too thin and will melt away.

Just tryin to help!

The lighter fluid was already here lol!

I'm using a divider so I can build a larger, deeper coal stack for longer burn time and also to direct heat a little better.

Kettle users, can I expect a similar cook time compared to say, a UDS? I will try to dual in about 250

Wampus, I hold your advice in the highest regard! I am winging the chimney thing, fingers crossed for sure. The divider is definitely for heat as well as starting w a larger coal stack. It will be some trial and error, but I'm giving myself a good five hour time cushion, planning on a long cooler rest if needed.

The lighter fluid was already here lol!

I'm using a divider so I can build a larger, deeper coal stack for longer burn time and also to direct heat a little better.

Kettle users, can I expect a similar cook time compared to say, a UDS? I will try to dual in about 250

I'd say you should expect about the same time to get the pork done, but surely you don't think that the coals will last as long as your drum, right? You're gonna have to add fuel a few times probably. Of course, with your taller coal stack, I could be wrong. I've only ever used the coal baskets.

When I've smoked low'n'slow on the kettle I'll all but close my bottom vent and then play with the top vent until it's where I want it.

Good luck BROTHER!

I'd say you should expect about the same time to get the pork done, but surely you don't think that the coals will last as long as your drum, right? You're gonna have to add fuel a few times probably. Of course, with your taller coal stack, I could be wrong. I've only ever used the coal baskets.

When I've smoked low'n'slow on the kettle I'll all but close my bottom vent and then play with the top vent until it's where I want it.

Good luck BROTHER!
You can get longer burns if you block off the area as shown above. The baskets are too small in themselves. Agreed on the vents.

Before Santa Claus brought my custom reverse-flow offset :becky: I used my 22.5 Weber Kettle. I used firebricks to create an indirect zone so what you have come up with will work just fine. Fill the divide with unlit Kingsford mixed with wood chunks. Fire 15-20 briquettes and when ready, sprinkle them over the unlit briquettes. Open the bottom vents all the way as well as the top vent. When at 250 (I hope you have a thermometer) shut down the bottom vents and use the top vent to maintain the temp. With this set up, I can get 6 hours easy before refueling with unlit charcoal. I add wood chunks every few hours. Also, you may want to take one of those pans and place it under the meat section. Wouldn't want to get pork fat all over the nice condo balcony! :p

Let us know how it turns out. :thumb:

Before Santa Claus brought my custom reverse-flow offset :becky: I used my 22.5 Weber Kettle. I used firebricks to create an indirect zone so what you have come up with will work just fine. Fill the divide with unlit Kingsford mixed with wood chunks. Fire 15-20 briquettes and when ready, sprinkle them over the unlit briquettes. Open the bottom vents all the way as well as the top vent. When at 250 (I hope you have a thermometer) shut down the bottom vents and use the top vent to maintain the temp. With this set up, I can get 6 hours easy before refueling with unlit charcoal. I add wood chunks every few hours. Also, you may want to take one of those pans and place it under the meat section. Wouldn't want to get pork fat all over the nice condo balcony! :p

Let us know how it turns out. :thumb:

My experience smoking on my 22.5 kettle is pretty much the same. I didn't use fire bricks.

I put the coals over two of the bottom vents, with the drip pan and meat over the third one. Once I was up to temperature, the bottom vent was just about closed.

I never got more than about five hours on one load of fuel. I tended to add a little fuel at 3-4 hours, and al little more every 1-2 hours, so I wasn't dumping a bunch on at a time. But, I don't know that my way is any better than a bunch at once.

You'll have do do more tweaking on temperature than you are used to doing on a UDS. But, on a long cook, some fluctuation is not a big deal.

CD

Looking forward to future updates and tips on this post, I myself have never used a kettle, learned on off sets. Dogsitting for my brother and his neighbor has a couple of 22.5 kettles. I asked him if I could use them and he knows I do comp BBQ, so he had no problem at all letting me run them this weekend. :becky: Think he just uses them to grill on. Have some leftover ribs I got at a comp that I vac sealed, so gonna try them out.

Looking forward to seeing how the "condo cooker" works out for you 42BBQ!!

i've mentioned it before but you get better control if you foil the charcoal grate except for where the charcoal is.

Got her dialed in at 240*, two 7# skin on pork picnics, untrimmed, rubbed with Everglades Cactus rub. Seems to be designed for pork. Big stack of coals with two hickory chunks burning on one side, full water pan under pork. Digital maverick wireless thermo at my bedside. Vents open about 1/8 inch on bottom, exhaust at 3/4 open. On since 2300, alarm to check temps set for 0400. Now for some sleep:)

Last edited:
Woke up about 4 times from 2300 to 0700, temps were between 249* and 239* all night long. Have not opened the lid yet, still at 239* :) I'll wrap them in an hour or so. Pics then.

Back