Hot n Fast on the Kettle

KevinJ

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
8.5# Butt heavily seasoned with Q-Salt and BPS Cuckoo Racha, going to pan in a braising liquid and cover when the IT hits 165-170 until fork tender, then cook down the braising liquid.

Liquid for braising

8 cloves of garlic minced
3 chipotles in adobo sauce, finely chopped (if you like more heat add more or less add less)
1 red onion chopped
1/2 cup of lime juice
1 can of beer
4 table spoons of apple cider vinegar
6 bay leaves
2 table spoons of cumin
2 table spoons of oregano
2 teaspoons of kosher salt
2 teaspoons of course black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves

Sun coming up, grill coming up to temp

zSgFCXE.jpg

Little over 30 minutes in, large chunk of apple wood for smoke

uayKaqf.jpg

Cruising at 325

w9d0p5m.jpg

You know I’ll be tuned in for this cook!!! :)

Curious, the internal temp next to the butt is at 325°... what does the thermometer on the lid of the kettle show? I know that the SnS plays havoc with that by design (lid therm being right over fire)... but I’ve never really checked the difference between lid temp and cooking grate temp. I’ve always assumed it’s about 100-125° difference (cooler @ grate level) just based on results I see with the meat that I am cooking. Maybe I should temp it myself with tonights reverse seared dinner [emoji849]

You know I’ll be tuned in for this cook!!! :)

Curious, the internal temp next to the butt is at 325°... what does the thermometer on the lid of the kettle show? I know that the SnS plays havoc with that by design (lid therm being right over fire)... but I’ve never really checked the difference between lid temp and cooking grate temp. I’ve always assumed it’s about 100-125° difference (cooler @ grate level) just based on results I see with the meat that I am cooking. Maybe I should temp it myself with tonights reverse seared dinner [emoji849]
I never pay attention to the thermo lid, just went out to take a look reading 450 so you're spot on at +125, when doing reverse sears I don't pay attention to grate temps just go by experience and IT.

I never pay attention to the thermo lid, just went out to take a look reading 450 so you're spot on at +125, when doing reverse sears I don't pay attention to grate temps just go by experience and IT.

A number of years back I challenged myself to go for a period of time using no thermometers other than my Thermapen. Wanted to see if years of experience could actually go without the use of therms. Just cooked by touch and feel for a month. It was a fun experiment. Pretty sure the cavemen didn’t have wires hanging from their cookers... lol.
#cavemanatheart
#saystheguywhosfavoritecookerisamak
[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Nice plan Kevin, what are going to make with that meat?

I actually also have a pork shoulder on the smoker...and I made up a braising liquid from another one of your posts that was very similar to this. I see you've added beer to this one-I might have to pour a bottle in when I add the shoulder to the pan.

Thanks for the post! Looks great!

Yeah Kevin, I figure you went hot n fast so I didn't have time to make it for dinner, looking great.

Back