Cast Iron Cookware - Again

1MoreFord

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This isn't going to be the usual cast iron info or questions.

Every time we have a cast iron thread we always hear the lament that the good old Griswold and Wagner are hard to find and how everyone wishes they were still around.:sad:

Guess What? They are still around but they're hiding really good!:shock: They are now part of the American Culinary Corporation and have been for quite a time. Seems Griswold went out of business in 1957 and were purchased by Wagner. Then American Culinary Corporation acquired them in 2000. They also produce some nice looking modern cookware too with excellent warranties. BTW, the prices aren't bad either. Their website has a couple of problems so I e-mailed them hoping they'll fix it soon.

They also make those Danish/Japanese/Dutch bake pans along with a Swedish bake pan and a pizza pan.

http://www.wagnerware.com/about.asp

Why does the American Culinary Corporation's Facebook page have comments from people what happened to their order of cast iron that they paid for?

Interesting! I'm going to check it out. Thanks for posting. :grin:

Thanks for sharing. I'm in the market for a new 12" CI skillet as I managed to completely destroy the one I have now. I'd much rather have a Wagner than another Lodge.

Thanks for sharing. I'm in the market for a new 12" CI skillet as I managed to completely destroy the one I have now. I'd much rather have a Wagner than another Lodge.

You completely destroyed it??? Unsalvageable? I would have thought that would be difficult to do. What happened? :confused:

I will wait to see if I can find the Wagner and Griswold cast iron. I will tell you they ruined the Magnalite line, not even close to what it was at one time. And they killed the best like of Magnalite when they bought it, which was the Professional line.

You completely destroyed it??? Unsalvageable? I would have thought that would be difficult to do. What happened? :confused:

I read a blog post where Alton Brown suggested throwing a pan into a campfire to do a burn off before reseasoning. I figured using a charcoal fire would work just was well. I don't know if I left in in too long or if it got too hot, but when it came out of the fire it was warped and had some really angry looking red blotches on it that I have not been able to remove.

Steel wool, wire wheel and a few other options have not been successful. Still has the reddish blotches and will not hold a season at all.

i think things are a bit hinky. one site had guys ordering but not getting things.
wiki says they havn't made anything since 2000.
look under wagner
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cast_iron_cookware_manufacturers"]List of cast iron cookware manufacturers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Why does the American Culinary Corporation's Facebook page have comments from people what happened to their order of cast iron that they paid for?

I looked at their official site briefly and I couldn't get past the horrendously incorrect grammar. I'm no English major but good god!

From what I could find it looks like they don't even make the cast iron cookware, and I'm skeptical that it's made in USA if they do. Looks like they simply accquired and are sitting on the old brand names. Maybe someone can confirm this?

Interesting

I gave away all my good old griswald to my son few years ago. Just last week bought new lodge Do and 3 skillets for our new (to Us) motorhome. They are not like grswald or lodge of old but work.

I seasoned and cook with all last week they work fine.

Tip on cleaning old CI.
Fill with white vinergar to soak over night. Then put them in self cleaning oven to clean. Follow up with wire brush or wire brush on your grinder. Wipe thin coat of peanut of flax seed oil three or four time over the day then place in oven upside down and bake at temp (350-400)just below smoking temp of oil for hour or two, turn off oven and let cook slowly over night. Then cook you some eggs, potatos, and sausage.

Worked for me

With the horrendous ENGLISH grammar, I would suspect that everything is being made in China. Or as some companies that have has their products made in China, the manufacturer steals their designs, produces the product and sells it themself under another brand name or on Ebay.
Unless, of course they went to my old high school. Then I would understand their bad grammar.:becky:

Back