HD clearance! Run, don’t walk!

I bought 2 bags last year from Lowes on clearance and thought it was the worst charcoal ever. I don't know if I got a bad batch since so many people here seem to love it. The Weber charcoal was harder to light and gave off terrible white smoke and left really awful taste on the meat. And the ash level was way more than lump charcoal and comparable to regular KB. For grilling it worked ok but was no better than KB.

I kind of want to try again to see if I just got a bad batch last year but if it's the same, it's not even worth $4.

I bought 2 bags last year from Lowes on clearance and thought it was the worst charcoal ever. I don't know if I got a bad batch since so many people here seem to love it. The Weber charcoal was harder to light and gave off terrible white smoke and left really awful taste on the meat. And the ash level was way more than lump charcoal and comparable to regular KB. For grilling it worked ok but was no better than KB.

I kind of want to try again to see if I just got a bad batch last year but if it's the same, it's not even worth $4.

Judging by the number of responses to this thread, including mine, I think it's safe to say that this charcoal is well regarded! If I didn't have a mountain of Western Lump (from Walmart deal), I would have picked up even more.

Judging by the number of responses to this thread, including mine, I think it's safe to say that this charcoal is well regarded! If I didn't have a mountain of Western Lump (from Walmart deal), I would have picked up even more.

Which is why I'm wondering if I just got a bad batch. Because the Weber charcoal I used was so awful that I thought about throwing it away. It truly reeked.

I'm nearing the end of a little over 200lbs of the Western lump. Hopefully this stuff is good.

You definitely got a bad batch, I’ve used 40 bags of this over the past year, I’ve found it burns clean, less ash then most briquettes I’ve used but not as little as lump. Burns hot as well and no off putting anything for me. I’d say it lights fast but I use a torch so everything lights pretty fast.

I used my last bag last week, now that I have the mak 2 I only use it in my pk360 and occasionally when I light up the Hunsaker but at this price I had to clean out 2 Home Depot’s for 16 bags, I only left the ones with tears in the bags. At my current use this will likely last me all year.

Now if I could get 20 lbs bag of pellets for this price I’d be in heaven!

You definitely got a bad batch, I’ve used 40 bags of this over the past year, I’ve found it burns clean, less ash then most briquettes I’ve used but not as little as lump. Burns hot as well and no off putting anything for me. I’d say it lights fast but I use a torch so everything lights pretty fast.

I used my last bag last week, now that I have the mak 2 I only use it in my pk360 and occasionally when I light up the Hunsaker but at this price I had to clean out 2 Home Depot’s for 16 bags, I only left the ones with tears in the bags. At my current use this will likely last me all year.

Now if I could get 20 lbs bag of pellets for this price I’d be in heaven!

I don't even have a pellet pooper yet, but one of the factors impacting my decision to buy one is whether there are ridiculous sales like this on pellets throughout the year. Any thoughts?

I don't even have a pellet pooper yet, but one of the factors impacting my decision to buy one is whether there are ridiculous sales like this on pellets throughout the year. Any thoughts?

Never seen them but i hear walmart puts the pitboss pellets on clearance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Home Depot's not the only place with stuff on sale. I was at Walmart this morning, and looks like they were cleaning out some old stock. The Oklahoma Joe Highland was marked down to about $180.

I bought a bunch of this at the Target clearance in 2017. Being a nearly 100%-of-the- time lump user, I found it to be typically briquette smokey, stinky (and ashy, but not as bad as KBB) at start up. After the crap burns off, this stuff burns pretty hot and lasts a very long time.

I bought about 450#s of lump at the WalMart Western sale last year, so I don't need any fuel. But I'll probably pick up a few bags anyway cuz I'm a sucker for great deals like this. :)

Just in time for me. I'm down to 3 bags of Weber briquettes. Stocked up last time and it's lasted me a while. Think I got 12 or so last time. Going to clear the shelf tomorrow. These things burn hot and long. Consistent briquette. Hard to say anything bad except the silly Ziploc style bag.

I bought 2 bags last year from Lowes on clearance and thought it was the worst charcoal ever. I don't know if I got a bad batch since so many people here seem to love it. if it's the same, it's not even worth $4.
I completely agree. I bought 4 bags, All 4 were the worst coal I have used. Any unburned/heated briquettes crumbled into useless rubble. Burned less time/faster than other brands. Enough to where I would not buy it ever again.

Out of stock at my local HD, but a good amount at the next closest where I will be tomorrow morning. I will give it a look to check price.

I completely agree. I bought 4 bags, All 4 were the worst coal I have used. Any unburned/heated briquettes crumbled into useless rubble. Burned less time/faster than other brands. Enough to where I would not buy it ever again.
Maybe check the damaged bags first. The stuff i have is real hard. Bounce it off the concrete floor and see if it survives. It should not crumble in your hands.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The briquettes that were in a coal basket that did not get used during a cook are the ones that crumble. So much so you could not pick them up.
I'm guessing there is a reason (or many) why they entered the market at the price range they chose. And this sale shows the results.
I would not buy another bag. Lots of other choices out there.
I check every bag of lump/coal I buy.

Well i bought 45 bags. Couldnt resist lol. I normally use RO briqs for grilling and RO lump for my 270s. I'm excited to try these out with my 270s. While I like the RO lump, a lot of times half the bags are crumbles and burns quicker than the briqs; i hate reloading during a smoke session.

Once ya try Weber charcoal ya wont go back to anything else!

:thumb::thumb:
Great for overnite cooks!
Brickseek said my local HD has 24 bags on clearance. When I checked my local HD on line said out of stock??
DanB.

Hi All I went to my local HD out of curiosity to see if they had Weber Charcoal, came out with 6 bags. Going back tomorrow for another 6 or more bags.:clap2:

Thanks for the brickseek link..
Dan B

Last edited:
Just in time for me. I'm down to 3 bags of Weber briquettes. Stocked up last time and it's lasted me a while. Think I got 12 or so last time. Going to clear the shelf tomorrow. These things burn hot and long. Consistent briquette. Hard to say anything bad except the silly Ziploc style bag.

Isn’t hat the truth Peter!

Move the ziplock to the top of the bag or forget about I!

Thank you to this thread, I swung by HD on the way to work and picked up 6 of the remaining 9 bags. The last 3 had holes and seemed cumbersome to deal with.

Using Brickseek, it shows my HD has bags in stock. However, their website shows not available. When this went on sale before, I checked the HD sebsite and it said none availe in stock or for online order. I went to HD and they had none on the shelves and I have checked multiple times since and have never seen it. So I am at a loss. I guess I could go back and ask a worker.

I did go toAcademy and they had the boxes of Charbroil center cut lump on sale for $3.98. I bought all they had at that store. The Academy website also showed none available at that store.

Robert

My HD didn't have any but they were offering KBB at Memorial Day pricing - $9.99 for 2 bags. Just an FYI.

Back