pitmaker vault problems

tubby384

Knows what a fatty is.
My vault arrived Monday and I finally unboxed it yesterday. I wasn't happy that I got the flapper when the very next month they decided to switch to ball valves. I called them to make sure that the flapper was tight, to minimize leakage and they reassured me that it will be done. When I checked it, it was so loose that it flops in the tracks. Ok, I can live with modding the intake, but what gets me is that the doors don't stay shut. On their website it says to adjust the tension on the frame side using a Phillips screwdriver, so when I tried to unloosen the screw it is so tight that I feel the head giving away to being stripped. I looked very closely at the head of the screw and it has tool marks on the edge like it was vise gripped on. Why on earth did they do that if I may have needed to adjust it? I've called down there and so far no return call and the secretary screens their calls. I bet they will call when I initiate a dispute for the charges for the second installment for delivery. They make a really nice product, but this is poor quality control on their part. Needless to say I would gladly pay for the shipping back to Houston for my money back. I will keep you guys posted on the out come. Anyone considering a Pitmaker item, BEWARE.:icon_pissed

That blows- if I ever buy a high end pit it will be within driving distance so I can inspect it and save shipping - living in Central Tx makes it Alot easier to do so. You probally oughta dispute charges till they make it right.

That's a shame, hope they take care if these issues for you. I have been considering the same only all stainless steel. What were the shipping costs to norcal?

That's a shame, hope they take care if these issues for you. I have been considering the same only all stainless steel. What were the shipping costs to norcal?
Cost 760 shipped to my door. 200 less if shipped to a commercial address, but glad I had it shipped to the house cause this thing is tall and very heavy.

I just called my bank and they said that I have sixty days to dispute the charges and they agreed with me that defective merchandise should be disputed. The bank will now be my liaison in the matter. The dispute form is on it's way. Stay tuned.

I had a quote of $770 to my house and $460 to pick up in Orange...this was for a Safe....

They called back and the problem of the door is resolved. Sorry to get everyone up in arms about defects. The issue with the doors is the gasket is so thick that you have to really slam the door hard. When Pete called and told me this, I thought he was bsing me, but it works. I currently have a gang box mod for the intake, so mod picts will be next.

Glad to hear someone finally got back to you with a resolution.

Waiting for a simple response like that is poor customer service. They should have called the first time, not waiting for a dispute claim..

i was just going to say you just have to slam the door... but you got that:-D my backwoods is the same way, even the intake doors are loosy goosy i just have them barely open like im talking more shut than open and it works fine

The doors and air intake on my safe are the same way. I don't have any problem with adjustments or getting to hot. I think one reason they put the ball valve on them now is because it's kind of the thing to have , but the older style works fine. One thing to look into if you don't have it yet is a heat baffle that slides into the firebox above the wood basket. My safe came with the rails already in (didn't order them). Helps keep the water from boiling off. Just have one cut out of some flat steel to fit. Mine cost $20.00 cut to size. Well worth it.

They called back and the problem of the door is resolved. Sorry to get everyone up in arms about defects. The issue with the doors is the gasket is so thick that you have to really slam the door hard. When Pete called and told me this, I thought he was bsing me, but it works. I currently have a gang box mod for the intake, so mod picts will be next.

I find it hard to believe you didn't pick-up on this doing your homework (slamming the door). Every You tube vid shows people doing it, and if I am not mistaken, in the owners manual it says also.
They still need work to cust service I see.
Anyways welcome to the PitMaker family- you are going to love it.
If you are on Facebook there is a Friends of PitMaker group, it might save some headaches if you have any more problems, or questions.

Sorry, a little off topic, but when did you order your vault? How long did it take for them to have it delivered to your door?

Nice to hear they helped you out...

I know on Backwoods (like someone else mentioned) you have to slam the doors. The latch is adjustable (could be made easier to shut) but I think the point of slamming it is to compress the gasket well.

I had a Stump's too, and had to slam it also.

Don't know what kind of mod you have in mind for the slide vent but a ball peen hammer against the track will tighten the slide as tight as you like. :bow:

Back