***The Hanging and Spinning Meat Appreciation Thread***

spun a couple o' yardbirds yesterday with some spuds and carrots in a CI skillet underneath.

35FDDDC5-DA01-43B3-9785-814E8043C6B3_zpsqzuk8gth.jpg

D30CEBD5-8CAD-44A2-8665-67C76C5374C0_zpsq3jgw9n8.jpg

did some gravy with the drippings to finish it up
7EC148C5-1901-46AB-9181-AE29A20A82D4_zpskqc1nqql.jpg

Interesting. I'm fabricating a rotisserie ring for my kettle. I guess I don't need to. Thanks for the post.
Hope you're joking...the meats you can turn out in roti baskets, different meat on forks and other roti attachments are incredible. Garrett is a big roti fan but he's showing off his caveman prowess. ;)

Think I need to hang some chicken this weekend...

Hope you're joking...the meats you can turn out in roti baskets, different meat on forks and other roti attachments are incredible. Garrett is a big roti fan but he's showing off his caveman prowess. ;)

You are correct, I like roti cooking, it's my favorite way to cook chicken, but string roasting is pretty cool to do when it's cool enough outside to sit by a fire and drink a few!

You inspired me. It's rough, but one wrecked road sign, and some scavenging in the basement locating stuff from past grills resulted in this.
rough%20rot_zpsbthvbvof.jpg

Nothing to cook on it at the moment, but I need to go grocery shopping anyway.

You inspired me. It's rough, but one wrecked road sign, and some scavenging in the basement locating stuff from past grills resulted in this.
rough%20rot_zpsbthvbvof.jpg

Nothing to cook on it at the moment, but I need to go grocery shopping anyway.
That's freaking awesome! :clap: I can't wait to get a closer look at the homemade baskets too and see some food tumbling in them. lol

That's freaking awesome! :clap: I can't wait to get a closer look at the homemade baskets too and see some food tumbling in them. lol
The baskets were purchased decades ago by my father. I'm in my 60's, and I can remember them being used when I was in my teens.

The baskets were purchased decades ago by my father. I'm in my 60's, and I can remember them being used when I was in my teens.
Way cool! What a great way to carry on your Dad's tradition using the same equipment he used.

I never realized that the round baskets were rare. I just Googled them, and those listed seen to be out of stock. Being able to tumble chicken parts is the biggest reason I want a rotisserie.
They have been discussed in the past here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rou...=0CHYQrQIoAjALahUKEwjy_rrlue_GAhUJUogKHVV3ANs

Yes they are, the hexagon shaped are more common today.

I saw a great basket at a rotisserie product company that they don't sell much of because they are so expensive to make but it's really cool. It is a very nice heavy duty cylindrical stainless that adjusts from big down to basically a flat basket...also does kabobs. I might end up getting one if i can get a discount on it.

When I bulit my new barrel in '13, I used the tutorial from this site. But, I still wanted to be able to hang tritip, chicken, etc. So I drilled holes just under the top rim. which double as exhaust and rod holders. Ceramic magnets cover them at the end of the cook.

I've never used a diffuser plate when cooking meat, the more drippings vaporized by the coals, the better. But, when using the grates, I do use a pizza stone under pans of beans or vegetables.

This was the debut of the new UDS, cooking hanging halved chicken, for about 40 of my fishing buddies.

100_44532_zps24b05cf6.jpg

But, it's really nice to have a grate, we do a lot of fishing.

140511_001_zps431dda3b.jpg

And our current new favorite, corned beef with smoked cabbage. It's not just for St. Pat's day anymore!

Corned%20beef%20cabbage_zpsduikvyaw.jpg

Lastly, I have an extra barrel on hand, and want to add a removable section, that will stack on top. Room for 3-4 more racks, and a rotisserie. Seems somewhere on this site, I'd seen it, Just haven't found it yet.

Last edited:
Back