Sunday cook: Burgers & Chucks & Storms! Oh Fark! Now with finished pr0n!

colonel00

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
So today I get some chuck roasts going on the UDS and fire up the Performer for some burgers. Got the chuckies all prepped and on the UDS. Started them out low for an hour or so then opened up 2 vents for a hot cook around 300-350.

IMAG0379.jpg

IMAG0382.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

Bacon Blue Burgers were the choice for today along with some extras for lunches this week.

IMAG0381.jpg

IMAG0386.jpg

IMAG0388.jpg

IMAG0390.jpg

After snarfing down the burger I go outside to check on the chuckies. I look up to this. Fark! Emergency status immediately goes to DEFCON 2 and I start scrambling to prepare for the worst.

IMAG0392.jpg

IMAG0393.jpg

IMAG0397.jpg

It looks like I may get lucky and only catch an edge of the storms.

IMAG0408.jpg

I wrapped and rested one and took the other one inside. It was cubed up and put in a pan with a mixture of Blue's Hog Original and Night of the Living BBQ. Many have had BH and know of its sweet and tangy flavor. Night of the Living BBQ is from one of the best local BBQ places, Oklahoma Joes. It has a good kick and a lingering heat. These two sauces go great together and have become my new favorite for beef and pork sammies.

IMAG0413.jpg

IMAG0414.jpg

After the burnt ends had been back on for 2 hours I pulled them and took the resting chuck out of the cooler to be pulled.

IMAG0417.jpg

IMAG0420.jpg

And finally, the end result. The pulled beef had great flavor and was very tender. It was even better on the sammie with a little sauce. The burnt ends came out even better. Even with a crunchy bark and "burnt" sauce, they remained very tender. A buddy happened to stop by (I think his BBQ radar was sounding an alarm) and he had no idea that the burnt ends were any different from when I normally make them out of brisket points. He even thought they might be better.

DSCN0880.jpg

Last edited:
I'd gladly take a rainstorm right now, even if it ruined my cook. I haven't seen any rain since June. I'd sacrifice a dinner for rain. :pray:

CD

well colonel that all looks great, right now though I would love to see some of those clouds!!!!! I have a canopy over my garden cant keep enough water on it and plants are burning up:mad2:

I'd gladly take a rainstorm right now, even if it ruined my cook. I haven't seen any rain since June. I'd sacrifice a dinner for rain. :pray:

CD

well colonel that all looks great, right now though I would love to see some of those clouds!!!!! I have a canopy over my garden cant keep enough water on it and plants are burning up:mad2:

Oh, I hear you there. It felt so good when those cool downdrafts from the storm came rushing by. Man it has been a long time since we had that. Sadly, after all that scrambling, I still haven't gotten much more than a slight sprinkle. Everything went around me for now so all my plants and grass are still dead too. At least the temps have dipped for a bit and my AC can have a break.

Looks great colonel!:cool: We had some really high winds blow through here about 45 minutes ago.

Thanks. Yeah, I am out in west Shawnee and didn't end up with much of anything besides some high winds and a few sprinkles. Everything went to the North or South. Now the sun is back out...Ugh! :flame:

Updated first post with final chuck roast pics.

That all looks fantastic!

Gotta get the rain when and any way you can these days.

Good looking Eats!!! I was eyeing up some chucks the other day at Kroger ended up with a Brisket the Chucks were like $4.29 a pound the Brisket was $3.29.

Good looking Eats!!! I was eyeing up some chucks the other day at Kroger ended up with a Brisket the Chucks were like $4.29 a pound the Brisket was $3.29.

Yikes! That must have been a trimmed brisket flat I hope. Yeah, chucks are more expensive that brisket usually but not that bad. I paid $2.98/lb for these at Sam's and packer briskets were $2.18/lb for choice angus and $2.38/lb for prime (not angus).

Back