Frontier Lump coal?

just used it this weekend for the first time .......didnt like it bag was full of little pieces not many big chunks i will never buy again!!

just used it this weekend for the first time .......didnt like it bag was full of little pieces not many big chunks i will never buy again!!
Really?

Royal oak is a little too much for me!

I bought a 40lb. bag at Sam's for about $14.50 in Olive Branch, MS (just South of Memphis). I was not impressed at all with it. It is made in Mexico and packaged in Texas. The lumps are not uniform in size at all, anywhere from golf ball size to fist size. The label just says it is hardwood, not any particular species at all. Just whatever they can get ahold of at the time is my assumption. I don't think I'll buy another bag, just because it did not do anything for my palate. I'd rather spend the money on Kingsford and some known species of hardwood. Sorry if I busted your bubble, but this is my opinion and hope someone does the same for me when I ask on this forum.

Doug

Ozark Oak is BY FAR my fav.I tried the Frontier in the #40 bag from Sam's.A little sparky but I would buy it if I was outta OO.I can get the OO for about the same price if I buy it by the pallet and pick it up at the plant.

i bought a bag of it at sams, and i must have gottern a good bag. there are some small pieces but that is to be expectred. for the money... i think its a good buy.

That is complete opposite from my experience so far.
I've gone through 3 bags from Sams and I've had to physically break some pieces in half because they were too large. I'm thinking about stocking up before they run out. My Sam's has them for $11.97 for a 40lb bag

Big Chunks smells kind a funny. I'm trying to figure out to what to do with the bag I bought a few weeks ago.

By the way, after looking at the link you posted with Amazon, they are only offering it in a 20lb. bag. The one I bought is a 40lb. bag for $14.50 at Sam's in Southaven, MS.

Thank you guys.

I'm trying to find a place where I can buy 8 bags of descent stuff for the whole summer.

May be the only time I will have $400 from the sale of the amp, The rest goes for comp and what not...

Only bag I've purchased so far is called The Good One, and it was $20 for 20 lbs out the door.

kind of pricy if you tell me..

That is complete opposite from my experience so far.
I've gone through 3 bags from Sams and I've had to physically break some pieces in half because they were too large. I'm thinking about stocking up before they run out. My Sam's has them for $11.97 for a 40lb bag

dang. 12$ for 40lbs. Thats a steal. to bad costco doesnt carry this. i really need to find a good lump source. I can get mesquite for 20$ for 40lbs but thats mesquite from mexico. I have talked with the owner of the place and he says some of the hig end resturaunts around my area use it and i have eaten at all of them. but they use it to grill not smoke.

Only bag I've purchased so far is called The Good One, and it was $20 for 20 lbs out the door.

kind of pricy if you tell me..

from what ive read about that brand its really good stuff. i live by the motto. you get what you pay for

This charcoal is kind of tricky, you have to identify the country of origin. From what I can gather the USA stuff is good, the Argentine stuff is avg and the one from Mexico (distributed out of Tx) is actually the same as this stuff.

http://nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag33.htm

I just tried the Mexico made and I would say it was above avg.

However after researching I think the USA made Royal Oak is prob your best bang for your buck for long cooks and Cowboy brand for direct grilling as it seems to get the highest temps.

Carlos

Saw this for the first time at Westlake. At 5.99 with a 5.00 rebate coupon, I figured I can not go wrong! Got a 10lb, have not even opened yet. But, I'll burn it!

Back