Weber Gas Grill Repair question

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
I've had my Weber gasser (Silver Genesis B model) for about 6 or 7 years. To date, I have not done anything to it other than cook on it fairly regularly, brush the grates before and after use, clean out the grease pan as needed and ensure I had enough propane.

The past few cooks I've notice that if I turn on the front burner to high, it sets at about 250 which is usual, however as soon as I turn on the middle & back burners, the temps skyrocket past the 550 mark even when on low.

I have not examined yet, but my guess is that either the burners have worn out somewhere so the flame output is more than usual or their is a problem with the regulator etc.

The second question becomes is it worth the money to do a complete overhaul by replacing burners, getting new grates and flavorizer bars (both of which are shot) etc. or buying a new grill at winter clearance prices ?

Depends on the model and cost of parts. I can't tell you how many times my Dad and I rebuilt his cheap Kenmore from sears. We replaced burner, venturi tubes, igniter, lava rocks, flavorizer bar and other odds and ends more than once. In his case it made more sense than buying a new grill.

Crunch the numbers, and decide how much work you want to do. Your time has a price too.

I'd probably do it, but I like to get pissed off when a project doesn't go smoothly:lol:

I would try and cleaning the burner with a drill bit first to see if there is a clog.

Vinny,

First check your warranty.

Most parts with Weber on the gas grills are 5 years or less, but if it has stainless steel burners, they have a 10 year warranty. One phone call and they are on their way to you free of charge.

Even better than seasonal clearances can be craigslist. I picked up a second Weber gasser over the summer, 1 year old, for $100.

Vinny,

Take this with a grain of salt. I am not one to mess around with anything that uses propane beyond normal maintence. If it were me, I would scrap the 7 year old grill and go for a new one, now that they are due to go on sale. When it comes to propane I don't leave anything to chance. This is just my take on your situation. You need to do what you feel is right.

hey vinnie, sounds like your mid and back burners are rusted out at the ports and need to be replaced. it's cheaper to replace them then buying a new one. if yours is 6 to 7 yr's old the same modle has probably doubled in price since then.

Keep an eye on the sale prices. After crunching the numbers then you can decide.

Oh what the heck, go for the new one.... New stuff is always fun.:-D

Back