Oak or Apple (other?) for a brisket & pork cook?

Any wood is good for smoking, as long as it's cherry! (a wise man once said).

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Thanks for all the great advice!

I ended up using pecan for the whole cook. First time using pecan and it worked well. I think I prefer the oak for the beef though. I've tried a number of woods with my beef, and oak produces an amazing flavor. Can't find hickory around here for some reason. I live in the City and it can be hard to source good BBQ supplies.

Again, thanks for the advice!

Doesn't really matter. I'd do half and half if you already have both. Pork is great with apple and still really good with oak, and oak is the popular choice for brisket but I made an amazing brisket last weekend with just apple. Does not really matter all that much, maybe a 5% flavor difference. But a mix would be really nice.

I have 2 apples and 2 maples in my yard. I set aside all trimmings and use them for smoking the next year. Apple works fine with pork and chicken as all will tell you.

Since my wood is free I use it for everything if I have enough. If i run out by fall, I buy hickory or pecan. When I do deer in the WSM I just use 2X as much apple as I would hickory or pecan--the smoke flavor will get there, you just have to use more wood. I would imagine beef is like deer or lamb that way--just use a larger amount if you have a milder wood.

Back