Quick feedback: AccuSharp 001 knife sharpener

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
Knives are one of THE most important tools to use in cooking. Keeping them in good cutting shape can be challenging for some folks (OK, I admit it... I'm one of those challenged folks :redface:). I've not devoted the time and energy to learn how to use a wet stone to sharpen my knives. I've relied on other methods to try to keep a decent edge on my tools... sometimes successfully, sometimes not. Here's some quick feedback on a simple, handheld knife sharpener: AccuSharp 001
Amazon.com: AccuSharp 001 Knife Sharpener: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31YPTW3ZPHL.@@AMEPARAM@@31YPTW3ZPHL

I originally purchased this sharpener for travel needs. I was at a Scout outing recently where the knives I brought along got ABUSED by some of the other parents (e.g., one guy started cutting up pieces of meat IN a cast iron skillet!). At that outing, I realized that I could use something quick, easy, and fairly portable to help provide an edge in a pinch. I also wanted something inexpensive enough to not induce an aneurysm if I happened to lose it. This sharpener seemed to fit the need well.

My experience so far has been very positive.
Pro: It's dead simple to use and creates a very acceptable cutting edge. I've used the sharpener on both basic Forschner knives as well as a couple Henckels and Wustof forged chef's knives. It doesn't seem to remove a lot of metal to achieve the edge. Some, but not a large amount. After using the sharpener on my 8" Wustof chef's knife, I had no trouble slicing through some lovely grilled, marinated flank steak, then slicing up some ripe tomato super thin. Getting a decent edge is also quite fast. Even for the knives that were in rough shape after the Scout outing, they came back and now have a sharp edge after ~ 2 minutes of work each with this sharpener.

It's easy enough to use that my wife has actually tried it (not sure about most folks experience, but my wife isn't terribly interested in maintaining proper edges on our knives... I have finally gotten her to NOT try to put them in the dishwasher... this is major progress!).

Cons: The edge seems a bit brittle. It doesn't last as long as an edge created using my usual sharpener (an old Chef's Choice 100). However, it's so quick and easy to get a sharp edge that I don't really mind... will just bring out this little sharpener when it seems the blade isn't performing well.

So, as a nice tool to include in the camping/vacation gear, it's well worth the modest cost in dollars and in weight/bulk. I like it enough to purchase another one to keep in the kitchen for regular use and in between sharpening with the Chef's Choice.

Bruce

They do put a decent edge on a knife. The other con is they hog a lot of metal off the blade. Follow up with a strop and it will be sharper.

Back