presentation pics

Captain Caveman

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Here are some pics of our turn in boxes at Ft. Scott this weekend.
Please let me know what you think.
With the advice I got from some of you on the last pics we were able to do MUCH better.

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 209
  • ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 206
  • pork.jpg
    pork.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 206
  • brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 207
  • anything but.jpg
    anything but.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 201
Very nice looking boxes Caveman. I am interested to see how they scored, esp the Brisket and the pork.

When I judge I am not hung up on the uniformity of the pieces in the box as much as how moist the look and if they look done. I know some do judge on uniformity however.

Very nice presentation! I'm wondering, can you use the mixed greens that are different colors for KCBS boxes. There are some very nice purples and reds in some of those.

NICE! Real nice.
I'd give the ribs a 9
What were your scores?

Mike

zilla: there were no purples and reds in there (it must be the pic)

the scores were:
chicken 8,8,8,9,8,8
Ribs: 8,9,8,9,8,9
Pork: 7,7,8,8,5,9
Brisket: 8,8,7,9,9,9
anything but: 8,8,9,8,9,9

Thanks again for all of the help.

p.s.
I have to give the credit for presentation to my wife, and sister who prep all turn ins for us.

The ribs are my favorite looking box.

For the pork, I would add more meat to the box. It looks sunken in the garnish.

The chicken skin doesn't looked cooked enough to me but looking at your score I probably don't know what I'm talking about. Congrats on great scores.

The ribs are my favorite looking box.

For the pork, I would add more meat to the box. It looks sunken in the garnish.

The chicken skin doesn't looked cooked enough to me but looking at your score I probably don't know what I'm talking about. Congrats on great scores.

Thanks! It was our time to get a call, and we got 5!!!!
4th place chicken
1st place ribs
5th place pork
6th place anyhing but
Reserve Grand Champion!

Talk about having it all come together at the same time!

Congrats on the Reserve Grand Champion! Looks like you earned it!

No, I didn't mean in your picture, I meant in general, would it be acceptable to use those types of lettuces in a KCBS box?

zilla: there were no purples and reds in there (it must be the pic)

the scores were:
chicken 8,8,8,9,8,8
Ribs: 8,9,8,9,8,9
Pork: 7,7,8,8,5,9
Brisket: 8,8,7,9,9,9
anything but: 8,8,9,8,9,9

Thanks again for all of the help.

p.s.
I have to give the credit for presentation to my wife, and sister who prep all turn ins for us.

No, I didn't mean in your picture, I meant in general, would it be acceptable to use those types of lettuces in a KCBS box?

Nope just green leaf lettuce, curly leaf parsley, flat leaf parsley, and cilantro.

If memory serves me correctly Zilla, I believe that using those kinds of lettuces in a KCBS box is considered "marking". I believe they actually list "red tipped lettuce" as a no no. Too tired to look it up. Going to bed guys.....

Congrats, Caveman! Great looking boxes. See? It really IS so easy a caveman can do it, huh? :lol:

First of all, great turn-ins. Even just looking at the pics, I wanna reach out and eat every single one of them, and I'm not even hungry.

Secondly, this thread really illustrates one of the most impressive and inspiring things about BBQ-Brethren -- everyone helping everyone else get better even if it means helping them in competition. I try to tell people around here about this aspect of the Brethren, and they can barely believe me. When you stop to think about it, it is pretty unbelievable in this cut-throat day and age.

Makes me proud to be a small little part of it all.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
We were actually named GC at the contest, the news paper took a pic of our team, etc. Then they came up and told us there was a computer glitch in the KCBS software, and we ended up with reserve.

Had to give back the awesome trophy, and a lot of money........:cry: (we were more upset about the trophy) the worst part of it was we would have got to go to the American Royal, and be in the lottery for "the Jack".

Congrats. Fantastic looking boxes there. The glazes you used looked outstanding. Almost like a Chinese charsiu...

They look great. Only thing I would do different is uniform size for the brisket if possible.

Back