UDS Paint

jquade

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
When you first paint your UDS, if you are using a high heat primer, must you use a high heat paint next or will any metal paint work?
Thanks

I used a high heat primer and paint on mine, but when discussing this issue with others, I was told that regular paint will hold up fairly well. If you are looking for colors, you might check the engine paints at auto parts stores. There are more colors available and they are rated for higher heat than normal paints.

My high temp paint said not to use primer, and now it's pealing off. I will repaint, primer first!

Hey JM, thanks for chimin in. By the way, nice job on yours. I kind of followed you along the way. Just want to know how long did you have to cure that high heat primer and how. Thanks Jeff

I put on a coat of primer and let it dry for an hour. I put on another coat of primer and let it dry for about three hours. After that, I put on a coat of high heat black. I let that dry for about 45 minutes and then put on another coat. I let that cure for 24 hours before I put any heat to it... All of this per instructions on Rustoleum cans. I used the Rustoleum 2000-degree primer and the Rustoleum Specialty High Heat (1200 degree) black paint... not the Ultra.

Dont need no stinkin primer OR hi temp paint. The cheaper the better. :thumb:

Thanks JM, the only thing different I'm doing is I want to paint the barrel a different color other than black. Gopher colors, maroon and gold, I've had a hard time finding high heat paint in those colors.

I used no primer, just high temp paint. Has been no problem even when I let the UDS get a little high in temp....350.

After everything was said and done, I used a little less than two cans of each because I double coated the primer and paint. It's probably not necessary to use that much paint.

Back