Install rotisserie/rib-o-lator on a UDS..??

UVaJester

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just completed my UDS and now I'm if there is a way to install a rotisserie so that all you to do is to drill a hole on each side of the drum and mount the brackets..?? I have never owned a rotisserie setup so I was just thinking you could slide the rod from one end though the holes, then hook up the motor. Then when not in use you could seal the two holes up..?? I just don't really want to cut the notches in the drum because I wouldn't use the rotisserie all the time. Thanks again everyone...

Jester

I thought Rib-o-lators came with a ring with the notches in it that mounted on top of the drum:confused: I could be wrong, but that's the pics I've seen.

Just drilling the holes in the drum for the rod will work for a rotisserie unit. The problem you will encounter with a drum and that method will be the fact that you will have a hot fire in the charcoal box while trying to assemble the Rib-o-Lator. You could always light up the charcoal after assembly, but access will be severely limited by the rotisserie unit. Probably better to have a separate ring for the ROL that can be slid onto the barrel. Either a rolled steel ring that you can get from a local metal fab. shop, or sacrifice another drum and make a ring yourself. This is what my set-up looks like. It simply slides over the drum and can be easily lifted off if necessary.

PA180310.jpg

Don't have a finished pic of it on the drum, but it works well, temp control is easy and can maintain either grilling or smoking temps. Also there is plenty of space below the rotisserie to have something else on the lower rack.

Here's the ring sitting on the drum prior to completion. Weber cover fits perfectly.

PA160308.jpg

Good luck with whatever you decide. Rotisserie cooking is great!

Just drilling the holes in the drum for the rod will work for a rotisserie unit. The problem you will encounter with a drum and that method will be the fact that you will have a hot fire in the charcoal box while trying to assemble the Rib-o-Lator. You could always light up the charcoal after assembly, but access will be severely limited by the rotisserie unit. Probably better to have a separate ring for the ROL that can be slid onto the barrel. Either a rolled steel ring that you can get from a local metal fab. shop, or sacrifice another drum and make a ring yourself. This is what my set-up looks like. It simply slides over the drum and can be easily lifted off if necessary.

Don't have a finished pic of it on the drum, but it works well, temp control is easy and can maintain either grilling or smoking temps. Also there is plenty of space below the rotisserie to have something else on the lower rack.

Here's the ring sitting on the drum prior to completion. Weber cover fits perfectly.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Rotisserie cooking is great!

I was so excited about wanting a rotisserie on there, I didn't even take into thought that the coals will be lit as I'm trying to put everything together. Hahahaaa....

I really like the ring idea... How much did it cost for you to get one made..?!? I was thinking about looking for a weber ring to see if I could make that fit...

The ring on mine is from a sacrificial drum. Cost $20. Plus some time with a 3lb hammer to make it fit nice. This link should tell you the whole story.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71009&highlight=Drum-o+-Lator

Oh yeah, a Weber ring will fit on a drum with some minor mods to the support tabs, but IMHO will still be a bit small diameter wise and you will need to stuff something into the gaps left between the drum and the ring. Plus you will need to get the new, shorter, made for a Weber kettle Rib-o-Lator. Hard to find a Weber ring too. Cajun Bandit makes a kettle ring I do believe. Better fit and temp control with the modified drum ring, again IMHO.

Personally, I recommend using a rotisserie ring.

1) it's my opinion that the ROL should be assembled on a flat level surface and spin tested for balance. I wouldn't want to assemble it over a drum fire.
2) use a grate under any rotisserie on the drum.
3) meats shrink and can shift using the ROL trays, if they are not balanced your meats are at risk of a flaming demise in the bottom of your drum.
4) You can get low n' slow or grilling temps using the Weber or EZ-Que rings and air gaps are really of no concern.

Chief Rib-O-Lator Charcoal Test Pilot

IMG_1630_1.jpg

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1637_1.jpg

IMG_1337.jpg

Those are my observations, and what I know?
Tested on my UDS, 22" WSM, Weber Performer and Cajun Bandit

swamprb - You're getting me on all the forums.. hahahaa... Thanks again for your response...!!!!

Back