Mini reverse flow update...

Smokin Turkey

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have been swamped with college assignments (bad), customer orders (GREAT!), mafia wars on facebook (addicted), and other bits of life...

Here are the updates of the little mini I've been working on...

day 1 of the build again...
0221091835.jpg

0221091835a.jpg

0221091836.jpg

Here you see her a few days more with some more parts, but still naked of paint, fenders, wood basket, and some other interior parts.
0307090951.jpg

0307090952.jpg

0307090952a.jpg

today I am going to try to get her ready for paint.
the 3rd leg crank actually works (minus a handle right now) the vents are spring tensioned, the wheels are getting some stainless custom hubcaps, the fenders will get brake lights, the whole thing is to get 1300 degree flat black.

-Brian

WOW!!! Great craftsmanship. I want one of those so bad. Can't wait to see it in action. Very nice!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That is very cool! Keep us posted as you complete the build.

Thats FREAKIN AWESOME!

What are the dimensions?

That could be the new "Hibachi"... LMAO! :biggrin:

Wow thats a great little smoker...can't wait to see the finished product ..... Dang now I want one those

That there is way to cooool! How much to make one for others?

Not sure yet. So far in materials, I am looking at $250. I am going to look at some cheaper alternatives to the sched. 40 steel pipe i used on this one. I am thinking if I could roll my own 1/8" wall I could make these for a lot less! I have everything programmed to cut like a puzzle. It's just compiling everything into one sheet. I have edits and updates and so forth. I will take a look at the end of this to see if it would be reasonable to build say 3 at a time or something.

Thats FREAKIN AWESOME!

What are the dimensions?

That could be the new "Hibachi"... LMAO! :biggrin:

She's about 33" from tongue to rear door with about 2" more for the handle stickin out. Right now, she is 13" from outside wheel to outside wheel. I plan to not create too much overhang with the fenders. I will also bring the storage box to the width of the fenders.

One thing I tried to do after talking to Rich about his, was to try expanding the baffle to take up more of the base of the cooker. I figure, more airflow possible, more temp so in theory, I should be able to get this to some high temps as well as smoker temps. we will see though.

This thing is sooo freakin' cool!
Great workmanship!
I'm inspired...
Stay tuned. Same idea, different concept and cooking method.

Weiser

Not sure yet. So far in materials, I am looking at $250. I am going to look at some cheaper alternatives to the sched. 40 steel pipe i used on this one. I am thinking if I could roll my own 1/8" wall I could make these for a lot less! I have everything programmed to cut like a puzzle. It's just compiling everything into one sheet. I have edits and updates and so forth. I will take a look at the end of this to see if it would be reasonable to build say 3 at a time or something.

She's about 33" from tongue to rear door with about 2" more for the handle stickin out. Right now, she is 13" from outside wheel to outside wheel. I plan to not create too much overhang with the fenders. I will also bring the storage box to the width of the fenders.

One thing I tried to do after talking to Rich about his, was to try expanding the baffle to take up more of the base of the cooker. I figure, more airflow possible, more temp so in theory, I should be able to get this to some high temps as well as smoker temps. we will see though.

Thanks! I have it finished! Painted! Cured! I still want to cut a few stainless accents but it's done and I have pics to load tomorrow. Tonight, we celebrate!

If you want the plans, I would be happy to tell you how I made mine. Just PM me.

-Brian

PS, she ran 235*F for about 2 hours on a load of Hickory. the hickory is now all ash and its cooling down slowly. there is jus tso much darn metal for its size that it is still HOT. I did get it as high as 270 with the door open. I need to split down the chunks I have. They mostly are too large. But a very satisfied builder here!

That looks really nice. That could really be something!:cool:

honeyishrunkthekids.jpg

Looks great. How does the wife feel about firing it up in the kitchen?

Should be no problem getting to temp with that big a** fire box.
Looks sweet, don't melt your wheels!!!!

OK! Here we are 99% finished. I still do not have the cooking grate cut, the lights mounted, or the stainless pieces for accents but she's been painted, fired, and tested well!

The last 2 are from just a sec ago this morning after her run to show the paint cured and the oily, cured, interior. I planned to get something cooking in her Monday as I think we will be doing some family traveling today. BEcause of the large number of people interested in getting the plans to make one of these, this week I will try to compile all my notes into a step by step instruction with measurements I used and post it in a thread the admins can sticky if they wish.

Thanks brethren! If it werent for this site and Smokin_D showing me my first reverse flow and explaining how they work, I would not have been able to build this! I do have some ideas for how I will build these less expensive and possibly easier to operate for anyone interested in having one made.

Already, I have deemed the chamber on mine overkill so I will be reducing weight and cost by going thinner. The fire box is only 1/8" steel which sounds like it's too small but in scale, it would be equivalent to 1/2" steel. I also have some ideas of how I would redo the air vents.

So far, very satisfied. I haven't remounted the propane pre-starter as I started the fire with my MAP torch. I will actually fire it the first time on the propane Monday.

Enjoy,

-Brian

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

The cooking area is a little less than 6" x 14". I am thinking of getting some brats and smoking them. Maybe some chicken, or some whole pork loin trimmed to fit? not sure yet what will go first.

Back