Frozen Fatty - how to thaw?

chargriller

Full Fledged Farker
I have a couple of fatty's in the freezer, and I would like to smoke them tonight.

How is the best way to thaw?

How long will it take?

I was thinking about setting them in some warm water, but I would like it to still stay a little firm so when I place it on the smoker it will not fall through the grates.

Any tips or tricks would be great.

Thanks

Use the auto defrost on you microwave. If like most it will run a while, shut off and tell you to turn over or rotate what you're thawing. If you'll wait 5-10 mins before restarting each time it shuts off, you'll thaw without cooking, you may not need the last cooking cycle either, make sure to check.
After thawing just put in the coldest part of the fridge (low shelf towards the back) to firm up before cooking.

Re: RE: Frozen Fatty - how to thaw?

kcquer said:
Use the auto defrost on you microwave. If like most it will run a while, shut off and tell you to turn over or rotate what you're thawing. If you'll wait 5-10 mins before restarting each time it shuts off, you'll thaw without cooking, you may not need the last cooking cycle either, make sure to check.
After thawing just put in the coldest part of the fridge (low shelf towards the back) to firm up before cooking.

Oh yeah, if you thaw in the micro, remove the metal hog rings at the ends of the chub.

Re: RE: Frozen Fatty - how to thaw?

kcquer said:
kcquer said:

Oh yeah, if you thaw in the micro, remove the metal hog rings at the ends of the chub.

Lightning Mod.

RE: Re: RE: Frozen Fatty - how to thaw?

I leave mine in one side of the kitchen sink with enough cool water to cover for 2 or 3 hours and it should be ready.

i just toss in the microwave on defrost. The rings dont bother it. REad somewhere that you can put small amounts of metal in the microwave as long as it is less than 1/4 of the volume of food. been doing it for years, never had a problem.

The rings dont bother it. REad somewhere that you can put small amounts of metal in the microwave as long as it is less than 1/4 of the volume of food. been doing it for years, never had a problem.

Bigger balls than I mod. I assume by now the fatties are already cooked and eaten so how did Chargriller do them?

When I got home last night I, filled the sink with some cold water and only took about 1 beer or 1 hour :D

Set back in the fridge over night to firm up, since I was unable to get the darn thing in the smoker.

I would liked to have tried the microwave mod but the metal clip on ring scared me and I did not want to cut them off since I was not able to smoke them the same day.

Thanks for all your help guys, what a great place to hang out, you are all top notch

Back