Score tracking and averages Excel sheet

Balls Casten

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok, too much time in the hotel room again and had to keep occupied.

Put together a spreadsheet (excel) to track and compare our contests scores. Just enter info into yellow cells.
Feel free to copy or use as you wish.

http://smokerspurgatory.com/spscoretracking.xls

Also open to any change suggestions.

(any data base or programmer guys know how we could make this a program so that you could view only the info you wanted?)

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
Looks a lot like what I had made up. Don't have it with me at the moment but I'll post when I get a chance.

As far as a program, you have it pretty much ready in Excel. Few tweaks and your set.

Damn Doug doesn't the hotel have a bar?

This brings up an interesting questions. What's more important...score or place? I personally think place.

Looks a lot like what I had made up. Don't have it with me at the moment but I'll post when I get a chance.

As far as a program, you have it pretty much ready in Excel. Few tweaks and your set.

I'd like to see it Ray. PM me if you have any input regarding makeing it a progam/data base.

Damn Doug doesn't the hotel have a bar?

I've been trying to cut the cord on that place. $9 drinks add up quick the way I pour them down.

Scores or wins? Im going with scores, get the scores and the wins will take care of them selves. But I'd take at least one win. :-D

This is a good history on overall preformance by you, but it doesn't tell you how you turned in your entry, glazed ribs with what, chicken cooked with what?, brisket cooked to what temp at turnin, wood, weather, huminity, How many beers, start times, turn-in times, too many variables left out, so that 6 months from now you have a idea what you did. Wil you actually use the info at a later date and how many do.

I've been trying to cut the cord on that place. $9 drinks add up quick the way I pour them down.

Scores or wins? Im going with scores, get the scores and the wins will take care of them selves. But I'd take at least one win. :-D
I think placement tells you a better picture on your progress then scores. I have had many of contest where my score would have been 1st in a different contest.

And our best rib score of the year didnt place.
We may be in a differnt boat than you too. Your average scores may be as high as they are going to get, or as high as one could expect. Us .. we are still getting some 140's & 150's, so we have room to improve.

And our best rib score of the year didnt place.
We may be in a differnt boat than you too. Your average scores may be as high as they are going to get, or as high as one could expect. Us .. we are still getting some 140's & 150's, so we have room to improve.
Good point.

I actually went a little further and made charts based on our scores... Let me get a clean one and I will post it.

We actually take it a step further where we compare our scores to those of the GC. We've all been at contests where our placing was say 6th overall but would have taken the GC at another contest. It's that ratio that tells us if we are really improving.

guess I don't worry too much after the contest is over what the scores were--either the judges liked the product or not---probably going to turn in a similar meat the next week anyway--cook the meat well consistently and the scores will fall right in line--imo anyway

best place for last weeks scores are in next weeks chimney

I actually went a little further and made charts based on our scores... Let me get a clean one and I will post it.

Ok, here it is. It is pretty much self explanatory, On the Scoresheets enter your scores from the Comps that you cook for both the Overall and the individual categories. Once you do that the graphs will populate on the sheets that say Chicken,Overall etc...

I think it gives you a good way to track your team over a period of time.

As every manager knows, you can only manage what you measure... :becky:

Attachments

• BBQ Comp Scores_2010_Brethren.xls
    42.5 KB · Views: 54
Ok, here it is. It is pretty much self explanatory, On the Scoresheets enter your scores from the Comps that you cook for both the Overall and the individual categories. Once you do that the graphs will populate on the sheets that say Chicken,Overall etc...

I think it gives you a good way to track your team over a period of time.

As every manager knows, you can only manage what you measure... :becky:

Does this mean Scott and Bruce are going to be looking for a new team next season?

Back