The Votes are in. Best BBQ on Long Island???

B

BobberQer

Ok dont shoot the messenger ... just got the Long Island Press and found their version of the best BBQ on LI

here it is

Article reads ::
Just a couple of years ago we couldnt have even had this category, but decent BBQ has finally made it's way north from the south to an impressive and eager audience..

Tennesee Jacks, East Islip
Poppa Ricks Texas Stlye BBQ, Huntington
R.S. Jones, Merrick

Editors Choice

Smokin Al's Famous BBQ Joint

(names were voted on by readers of Long Island Press)
winners are in no particular order

comments from the LIFO's are more than welcome, and anyone else who's tried any of these places???

I've never heard of the place in Merrick , maybe i need to get out more , Poppa Ricks is so expensive, $15 a pound for brisket,.. i 'll never go there again... I havnt been to the other places ...tried to go to Jacks, but was close for a private party

Last edited by a moderator:
We will have to make sure Will's (RBSNWNGS) place gets on top of that list when he opens in February.

I thought the best place in L.I. for BBQ was Mecca?

Poobah's Pit?

Mary's Meat?

Phil's Butta Beef?

well East Islip doesnt have a Train station.. wondering if he'll be in that strip mall just North of the tracks from the Great River train station... or on Islip Ave near the Islip train station wow that's great Good Luck Will

I saw the list today too...

They also had a separate category for Best Ribs:

Smokin Al's, Spicy's BBQ in Riverhead and Tennesse Jack's made this list.
I live just down the road from the RS Jones. I went there once about four years ago. I would not classify it as BBQ. To me, it seems more Southwestern sytle with some ribs and a few other southern dishes. Overall good food, but it's not a BBQ joint as most of us might define it. It's a fairly small place, prices seemed a bit high recently when I walked by and saw some of the specials they had listed in the window along with their Zagat Rated sign.

http://www.rsjones.com/

Lookin forward to Will's place getting started. If I recall he said it was going to be takeout and delivery (hopefully just the beginning of something much bigger !)

Bob,

It is the little strip of stores near the train in East Islip on Connetquot.

mapimage.gif

mapimage.gif

mapimage.gif

Last edited:
Good point Phil !!

The only other one I know of is Jesse's Lip Smackin' Roadhouse, also located in Merrick on Merrick Road. It was formerly Courtney's Restuarant. (Excluding Famous Daves & Smokey Bones chains).

About a year or so ago, 2-3 guys bought it. One of the guys had won Best BBQ Sauce on Emeril Live and he then had the idea to start a restaurant and Markets the place as "BEST BBQ - EMERIL LIVE". It's just the sauce that one. If I recall It's got some combo of Rolling Rock beer and citrus flavor along with the usual ingredients of many BBQ sauces.

It's basically a bar in the front with 3-4 booths and then in the back are about 10 tables. They have live music -Blues on Wed. and Rock/Hard Rock/Blues on Fri & Sat.

I would not call it a BBQ joint, or a good one for that matter. The BBQ sauce is actually pretty good (they don't sell it), but the food is not good. They have some baby back ribs which are cooked earlier in the day and not smoked but most probably oven/grill combo. They have a brisket that is horrible and tastes and actually looks more like pastrami. The have a few other "BBQ" dishes and sides and then some traditional bar food (burgers, mozzarella sticks etc.)

The only reason I've been there more than once is that it's close and i like the live music.

Ty for the support but lets not count my chickens just yet.
what i thought was a slam dunk isnt.
I'm finding out that there are problems with the way they represented the property and some zoning issues that have to be taken care of first. RE Brokers somtime just want a paycheck.
Lets hope santa brings me somthing good for the new year

Will,

My wife Michele is a Real Estate Agent for Caldwell Banker if you need help. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Best of luck. We all want to see you succeed so we have a great Q takeout place to go to.

Hope it works out for ya Will... keep us up ( what and when you can)on the happenings... I'll spread the word as I was raised in that town and go there quite frequently

Any of you tried this place?
Dante's Inferno BBQ and Grill
222 Fifth Ave, Bay Shore, NY
[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial](631) 666-6388[/font]

i havent yet

I know the owner Anthony and this was a little pet project that didnt work the way he thoudgt. he owns or leases i think 12 kitchens in catering halls and doesnt have the time to put into what he would like. Ive heard good things and bad, i know he brings in his ribs pre-smoked (st louis only) bakes his pulled pork.

Sledneck. in regard to:

Dante's Inferno BBQ and Grill

Just south of sunrise Hwy, west side of road on 5th Ave..come off the exit from the west too fast and you'll zoom right by it..

Brother went there, said it wasnt good,...Friend went and said the same thing..

I've been meaning to stop there, but quite frankly see no urgency to do so after the reviews I 've been told...

Didn't Dinosaur BBQ open a joint in the Greater NYC area? I realize that's not "Lon Gisland" but they have good Q. I've been to the original in Rochester (to you New Yorkers that's in "the rest of the world":wink: )

Yeah, they opened one in New York City. Our own "BrooklynQ" reviewed it on his Blog and didn't like it much. From what I have heard the best in the city is Adam Perry Lang's Daisy May's BBQ.

Back