To be a new WSM owner. First BBQ suggestions?

nikbrown

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Ok so there is a new WSM sitting under the tree for me.... YAY!

I think there is some expectation of me producing something on it for dinner that night. So ideally I need to season it I know.. but are there any good options for some BBQ that day?

Here is that I've got to work with....
1. We don't eat pork
2. I've got more than an entire cow in the freezer (so name just about any cut, Including lots of short ribs)
3. I've got whole chickens
4. I've got whole ducks
5. I'm a woodworker and have tons of hardwood offcuts to work with (mostly cherry, but also ash, oak, maple, & walnut)
6. also have some mesquite chips and Jack Daniels chips

So given the above conditions and about 8 hours from time of unpacking the WSM is there any way to get something good for dinner that day? What would you do?

No need to season a WSM. Just cook something :-D

Given the time frame and what you have on hand I'd do a spatchcocked chicken and use some cherry wood. Cooking at 275 or higher the chicken should take 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Short ribs are a good choice, too, but you'll need at least 5 hours to get them tender, depending on how big they are.

You could also do a meatloaf.

I would suggest you use wood chunks in your WSM, as opposed to chips. The chips light very quickly and you won't get a lot of smoke unless you keep throwing more on every few minutes.

As to what to cook, I'm guessing this would be for Christmas dinner, correct?

Given what you have on hand, it all depends on how many mouths to feed. A few things come to mind in terms of beef, which would be a rib roast, or whole or partial tenderloin(go light on the smoke with the tenderloin, though, as it doesn't take a lot to overdo it).

^^^^^^^^^^^
They pretty much summed it up right there.
You may want to wash the inside of the WSM and grates with some Dawn and hot water, but it requires no seasoning.
Chunks are better than chips.

Do what Ron said, chickens at about 300deg, you'll get a good edible skin also, good luck, can't beat them WSM's !!

Since you don't eat pork I guess a fatty is out... Why, if I may be so bold as to ask, do you not eat pork?

VR,
Harold

Given the time frame and what you have on hand I'd do a spatchcocked chicken and use some cherry wood. Cooking at 275 or higher the chicken should take 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Short ribs are a good choice, too, but you'll need at least 5 hours to get them tender, depending on how big they are.

You could also do a meatloaf.

Agree 100% with this. Chicken is the way to go.

I rolled chicken quarters on my first go round and they were great. Even if the temp spikes it still turns out great since chicken like the higher temps.

I'm a fairly new WSM owner and I did chicken parts a couple times when I first got it. Lets you get the temp control dialed in a bit before you go for longer cooks. You're gonna love it, congrats!

Good advice above. My choice would be chicken for a first effort, too.
One point: Kiln dried wood [assuming that is what you have] may give off less smoke than you expect, as it has a lower moisture content than most "seasoned" wood.

Not only is chicken the way to go, you could season it a little before putting the meat on. Have fun though, you will love it!

Thanks for all the tips... I'll probably spatchcock a couple chickens and run them though as a nice easy first attempt. I have cherry both kiln dried and cherry firewood I stacked up a couple years ago. So no shortage of cherry.

Since you don't eat pork I guess a fatty is out... Why, if I may be so bold as to ask, do you not eat pork?

VR,
Harold

Wife grew up not eating pork and all the times she has tried it since then (knowingly or unknowingly) its made her sick. My dad grew up on a hog farm and hated the taste of pork so I grew up not eating it much either. It's been quite a few years since I've eaten much of it and it has made me sick to my stomach the few times I've had it recently. So it's just a meat we avoid now.

With no need to season, First few cooks can run hot. Do something forgiving. Pulled chuck roast or Pepper Stout Beef sliders

The others are pretty much spot on.
It doesn't need it but if you really really want to season it spray the insides with PAM.
Using PAM on the grate makes clean up easier.
Foiling the water pan and not using water in it makes clean up a lot easier.
For WSM specific information visit the weber virtual bullet website.

I would definitely go with one or two chickens. I like to cut the spine out, split the breast bone and lay em down flat.

This will give you plenty of time to set it up, fire it up and even play with the temp a little before feeling rushed to get the meat on to feed the family.

I hope you took care of whomever gifted you the WSM!

This is exactly what I was thinking! Congrats on your new WSM!

Whatever you decide, make sure to take some photos and let everyone know how it went. Merry Christmas!

Watch it close as a new owner I had a fire in mine that was a huge grease fire ruined a lot of meat. Also try to find a low ash charcoal or you will be fighting it all night. Although I cook on 14.5" and it may be to it's very small size that I have issues. I have never heard any bad about the larger ones but that small one seems finicky. I have other names for it that relate to a female dog. That's what I think of mine but I am cooking with it right now trying to master this beast.

Back