Trader Joe's Pizza Dough

Groundhog66

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I stopped by mt local TJ's, and picked up some dough for this weekend. I decided to try all varieties, they have regular, wheat and garlic & herb. Have any of you tried this stuff? If so, how did it work for you?

5373847204_37b33cc93b_z.jpg

I use it all the time. It’s a little starchy and needs to proof at room temp for quite awhile. I usually make 2 small pies out of each package. It’s also a little “sticky” and hard to get off of your peel onto the stone, so I always start it on parchment for about 2-3 minutes, then slide the parchment out which can be used on the next pizza. Good luck and let us know how it works. Seriously, parchment paper is the key!!!

I haven't tried TJ's yet. You live in CA you might have a Fresh N Easy near you. They have a good pizza dough as well. I find it best to buy and use same day. Also need to get it to room temp and raise a little.

Works great as long as you use it within a day or two of bringing it home from the store. And the parchment paper suggestion above is a good one... :thumb:

I use the TJ regular dough all the time. I usually divide into 2 and let come to room temperature and rise before rolling out. I use some flour on a cutting board and rolling pin to keep it from sticking. I then use some semolina flour or corn meal on the pizza peal before I lay the dough down. This make is slide off the pizza peal right onto the pizza stone. I love grilling pizza on the weber too. I use lump, and get my pizza stone as hot as possible. Pizza cooks in 5 minutes or so. Really crispy dough and nice flavor. Joe

I am glad this dough is getting some good feedback, I am looking forward to trying it this weekend.

I use it all the time. It’s a little starchy and needs to proof at room temp for quite awhile. I usually make 2 small pies out of each package. It’s also a little “sticky” and hard to get off of your peel onto the stone, so I always start it on parchment for about 2-3 minutes, then slide the parchment out which can be used on the next pizza. Good luck and let us know how it works. Seriously, parchment paper is the key!!!

That's pretty much my experience, too. I have used corn starch on the peel and it worked fine, but parchment is easier.

I like the garlic and herb best. the wheat is good, but, well, wheaty :-D It did make a nice crust for a reuben pizza, however.

Keey some flour handy when working with it. It really helps.

Gonna try this dough today, how long do you suppose it needs to proof before I use it?

The first time I used this stuff, I found out about how sticky it can be. This pizza didn't come out so circular trying to get it onto the pizza stone:

gp20.jpg

Did that on a Kettle. It was spectacular. Fresh tomatoes and basil leaves from my garden.

It's good dough. It's my emergency dough, if I need dough right away, as I have 2 TJ's within minutes from where I live. I usually let it sit for at least an hour to bring up to room temp.

make your own..it is easy and so much better...plus you control all the variables in making the dough...it can be light and airy, thick and heavy, you name it. Different flours and kneading techniques make a huge difference. I used to buy store bought dough (TJ and the some at wally world) until I started making my own..there is no comparison really

make your own..it is easy and so much better...plus you control all the variables in making the dough...it can be light and airy, thick and heavy, you name it. Different flours and kneading techniques make a huge difference. I used to buy store bought dough (TJ and the some at wally world) until I started making my own..there is no comparison really

I second that! TJ's is OK dough, but doesn't compare to homemade.

I use it all the time, but like everyone has said, you've GOT to let it get to room temp before you can really use it.

I like the garlic and herb best, but the wheat crust is the easiest to work with from my experience.

Kneading it several times on a heavily floured board helps a LOT with the stickiness aspect, but using the parchment paper is something I never thought of.

I'll definitely be doing that next time, for sure.

Back