WSM - 2nd Run....

LeeBo

Knows what a fatty is.
Wellsies, I am now in love with the "Set it & Forget it Machine"....

My first run produced killer ribs but lousy brisket due to low temps - could barely maintain 225. I took the advice of the Brethren and switched from Sam's Choice to Kingsford. Big difference. I had to really pull back on the vents and it still ran on the weak side of 250.

After zero'ing it in (about an hour after take off) I never touched it until the ribs came off 5 hours later. I trust it was steady the whole time we were running errands. It was exactly where I left it temp wise.

Anywho, the brisket was at 167 so I wrapped it in foil and put it on the top rack. (My maiden voyage produced a boot heel brisket so I chose to wrap this time.) I rattled the ashes off, but did not add any more fuel.

The thing that interested me is that after we finished eating the ribs and cleared the table I went back to the WSM and the brisket was already at 190. I've never seen a brisket jump 23 degrees in 30 minutes. Admittedly it's a small brisket - around 5 pounds.

It's in the cooler now hanging around 180. I plan on leaving it there for a few hours and will yield my first killer brisket.

Now that you're using some decent charcoal I think you'll find that 250 is easy to maintain. You may also find that you need to open the vents a bit more after you use the cooker a few times. They tend to run a bit hotter when they're clean and shiny and they run cooler as they get "seasoned." I think that the buildup of gunk helps to seal them better and it also absorbs and conducts heat out through the body better than the shiny new surface. I have one well used WSM and one brand new one. It might be interesting to fire them both up using the same method for both to see exactly how big the difference is.

I am glad your ribs turned out good but I can't imagine that kind of a temp jump on the brisket.
Sorry to hear that.
The other thing that is amazing to me is the vents.
I usually open all 3 at first and then close them to 1/2
until it comes to temp.
I damn near burnt a butt one time and now my method is
TOP wide open and 1 bottom vent about 1/3 open after
everything comes to temp.
That seems to work very well for me.

Try it again brother and enjoy.

I learned the same way and got the best info from right here.

I left the brisket in the cooler with a towel for about 3 hours. When I took it out I was pleased. It was definitely one of my better briskets. We nibbled on it and had to put it in the fridge until tomorrow. Not "to die for" but definitely "pretty darn good."

Regarding the internal temp spike - yep, it baffled me too. My bottom vents were 2/3 closed and my exhast vent was half closed. Ran for nearly six hours at 245'ish. My thermometer is new, but perhaps I should still check it.

I just looked at the WSM (the coals are still dying down). After 10 hours it's reading 150 degrees from the original 10 #'s of charcoal. I bet stirring them up would bring it to 200. That is one effecient smoker!

I should add that it was upper 90's today with little to no breeze.

Leebo;
Glad the WSM is working for you. I've got one and love it, one thing I always read and was told though is no matter what, leave the top vent wide open.

Scott

sfisch said:
Leebo; Glad the WSM is working for you. I've got one and love it, one thing I always read and was told though is no matter what, leave the top vent wide open. Scott

I've read that too, as well as for the Bandera. However, it begs a question that I have often wondered...

At what point would people say, "You need to close it a bit." That is, I have seen smokers with huge exhaust pipes and small ones, and everyone says, "Wide Open."

Moreover, just how big does an exhaust vent have to be to partially close it?

LeeBo said:
I've read that too, as well as for the Bandera. However, it begs a question that I have often wondered...

At what point would people say, "You need to close it a bit." That is, I have seen smokers with huge exhaust pipes and small ones, and everyone says, "Wide Open."

Moreover, just how big does an exhaust vent have to be to partially close it?

WSM is a little different due to being vertical.
I read something once that Jim Minion posted about this
but I can't remember if was here or http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

Anyway....keep up the good work and it will start to really payoff.

Back