Suggestions for UDS chicken thighs?

misterrachel

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Now that the UDS has been put to the test, my wife would like me to make some chicken thighs tonight. Would the following work well?

-Rub chicken with Plowboy & rest 1 hour
-Put in UDS at 250 degrees for 2 to 3 hours until chicken reaches 160

Sound like a good plan? What about wood? I have some hickory chunks and some cherry chunks. Was thinking about using the hickory for tonight.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and I promise to post PRON later!

I did drumsticks on my UDS on Sunday. I marinated them in the fridge for most of the day in a sweet, vidalia onion salad dressing (I usually use an Alabama White BBQ sauce as my chicken marinade, but I had this in the pantry and didn't feel like making a sauce, so there you go. If necessity is the mother of invention, then laziness is its bastard father...)

When it was time to get dinner going, I got the UDS temp up to 325*, drained the excess marinade off the drumsticks and then gave 'em a good rubbing with my own rub mixture.

Cooked 'em for about an hour and a half (flipped once after an hour).

Family loved 'em.

I also like thighs cooked at a higher temp. I usually go about 350 for 45 minutes. Defiantly Yardbird on chicken. I also use Sweet Baby Rays for sauce.

Edit: I use Cherry and Apple chunks.

Last edited:
Use hickory and watch how much rub you put on the birds. If there is alot of sugar in the rub it can burn very easily.

Back