Can you really tell, with Kingsford?

G

ganso

I have never used Kingsford in my Stumps but have bought a few bags to try. The price is right on the charcoal but have read where people hate it. A friend of mine has used it and says he cant tell one way or the other in his Stumps, other than a little more ash. So is there really a taste difference? Pat

I think there is a taste difference, but I still use Kingsford a lot because of the price/hour of burn. I don't find the taste offensive, but it is different, and if I could get cleaner stuff at the same price I would not use Kingsford at all.

Best way to tell is to use just the charcoal and cook up some chicken breasts with each type of fuel. Some people don't notice any difference, some do.

No matter what your smoking on, use a bit less charcoal a little more knuckles of wood. Do it in the weber all the time. I cook coal and wood in the spicewine as well. Scott

Well, i'm the strange one i guess because i burn K regularly in my drums.

Most consistent and longest burn IMO.

Light the basket and the white stops inside 20 minutes. I've got 3 burnin right now and can't smell anything but sweet cherry!

I love the K haters......more $4.00 bags for me! :cool:

This reminds me of a little sale Rancher had a while back, spent all summer bitchin about how ashy it was, yet everybody got 200 bags stocked up! :icon_sleepy

i can't stand the stuff :icon_pissed. more reasons than just the smell/taste. but if it works for you then go for it.

yeah the utah bbq asc. just got 10 pallets of rancher in last week. 140 bags+ per pallet. I bought 4 bags of it. My UDS is burnin for the first time on K just to see if i like it.. I know that my friend used it on his big a$$ smoker and i really loved his ribs.

This reminds me of a little sale Rancher had a while back, spent all summer bitchin about how ashy it was, yet everybody got 200 bags stocked up! :icon_sleepy

What :icon_blush:

I agree. No problem with K here. And I've never had 200 bags of rancher at one time. 180 maybe.

That being said, I cook on leaky, drafty pits. Not tight like a stumps or a drum.

Last edited:
if the coal is fully ready im ok. For example a full chimney with white ash all over it. Then i know it is clean fire. With my ecb, it was loaded every 2 hours with a full chimney. Never saw any smoke unless wood was added. With the UDS. smoke is alays comming out even with no wood. That can be scary cuz the unlit coal lighting up gives off white smoke which can taste funny.

I can use K in my offset. The UDS is another story. Food tasted like lighter fluid.

Tasted like Lighter Fluid? Did you use the Match-Light stuff?

Use a lot of K and never had it taste like lighter fluid. I prefer a 50/50 mix of lump and K and never have a funky taste problem. Just wanted to throw that out.

I use Kingsford alot and haven't had a problem with strange after tastes. Burns well and is most consistent. Like what you use, Use what you like.:biggrin:

I challenge anyone anywhere to find any evidence that I would ruin my BBQ with Kingford! Come on.. I double dog dare ya!

/:icon_clown

N my werl, funky taste ain't no problem

Use a lot of K and never had it taste like lighter fluid. I prefer a 50/50 mix of lump and K and never have a funky taste problem. Just wanted to throw that out.

Tasted like Lighter Fluid? Did you use the Match-Light stuff?

No, definately not matchlight.:eek: Even with clay pot base in my uds, it just leaves a weird taste. Maybe I'm just used to using lump in my egg. But the Stubbs didn't seem to have that taste. I like K in the offset, just not in my drum.

Crüe-B-Cüe;933356 said:
I can use K in my offset. The UDS is another story. Food tasted like lighter fluid.

i Know exactly what you are talking about. This is why i was skeptic of the minon burn with my UDS. I ruined a rack of ribs once because the coal was either out of date or something because the ribs tasted like chemicals. However today with just plain K it tasted fine.

I use K*ford only because it readily available and inexpensive, but it does produce a lot more ash than Rancher ever thought of doing. I've never noticed any off-taste from it though.

<<<Sigh...I wish Rancher was still available around here.>>>

With the recent Memorial day sale my wallet can sure tell the difference :biggrin:

I prefer a natural lump briquette, namely the Wicked Good stuff. I don't mind uses K though if the price is right, never really been dissapointed with K, just makes a lot of ash. If you're going to grill direct over it you have to make sure you're ashed over fiirst, otherwise I haven't really had any problems with minion burns in my WSM.

So, in not Kingsford, what brand do you guys use?

I have never had a problem with K, flavor or ash related. It works great in my drum and BWS patio and never had an issue in my bigger BWS Party either. I have bags a few bags left from the great Rancher rush of 2008 but I wont use it in my drum due to the famed swirling ash syndrome...

Back