Competition Chicken Style

RubMeTender

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We have always finished in the top 10 in competition for our meats except for Chicken. We always do thighs. Marinaded shortly, then smoked. Move them to the grill to finish with a light glaze of sauce. Any advice?

try rubbing them tender!! Not sure, sounds like you are on the right track. What are you average scores so you can see what you have to work on?

I don't know but I have been this site for a little over 3 years and still haven't received any good chicken advice yet

I don't know but I have been this site for a little over 3 years and still haven't received any good chicken advice yet

Take me snow mobiling and I'll teach you how to cook chicken.

What might help us give you more ideas or suggestions would be if you can share more specific details on what current methods

what type of:
pit
charcoal / wood(s)
marinade, rub, sauce
temp cooked at
how are you presenting them in box
etc.

Last edited:

Is that you on your Sled?

Several 13th place chicken calls is nothing to take lightly.

What might help us give you more ideas or suggestions would be if you can share more specific details on what current methods

what type of:
pit-cooking on a Lang 84
charcoal / wood(s)- cooking with oak and pecan
marinade, rub, sauce- marinading with italian dressing/basted with homemade sauce(slighty sweet,slightly tangy). No rub
temp cooked at- 225-250
how are you presenting them in box-
etc.

Getting good scores for tenderness, presentation is all across the board, and that never tends to be agreed upon with judging. This weekend we had an average score of 8 for presentation, low of 6.5 and high of 9.0. Why is this?

Your not using any rub or seasoning?

Your not using any rub or seasoning?

No we aren't. I plan on it next time to try it out with the judges. When I marinade, there is plenty of flavor. I'm wondering if the judges maybe want to be overpowered by flavor instead of it being subtle.

No we aren't. I plan on it next time to try it out with the judges. When I marinade, there is plenty of flavor. I'm wondering if the judges maybe want to be overpowered by flavor instead of it being subtle.

Kind of like the sauce thing, they say they want to taste the flavor of the meat. BULL$HIT. They want flavorful stuff, the best I have ever done is when I bit into my meat and said oh $hit this is salty and I LOVE SALT.

Dizzy Dust:cool:

There lies your problem....

Judges want a flavor explosion, not what you think is good, but what THEY think is good!

Back