Dealing with Hungry, Hungry Hornets?

F

Fiddy/Fiddy

The wasp can get pretty annoying this time of year when your grilling up some of your favorites. The drone are looking for extra sugars for the next generation of pests.

Just like us, they know good smelling eats and tend to be a huge pain in the ,you know what, when your trying to grill up your meal. Have any of the brethren figured out any trick to deal with these unwelcome dinner party crashers?

I loathe those creatures!!! I'm always on the look out. As soon as I see one, I grab my can of Wasp & Hornet spray (it shoots a stream 10' to 12' long) and get after them! If you locate the nest, wait until morning or evening, when it's cool, to attack. My dad has had decent luck with the plastic traps, but mine never work. Maybe it's the holes about the size of a BB that no one at my house knows anything about.

Matt

The bug Zappers don't help since they are not attracted to the light. This is not the worst year for them. I am not sure where the nest is. It's not in my yard. It's most likey in one of my neighbor trees. So I can't do a yard to yard there.

I am wondering if there is some kind of trap you can buy.

Yeah, there are traps available. They're clear plastic and a liquid bait goes inside. They'll fly or crawl through holes in the top, but they can't get out.

Matt

2 litre pop bottle with the top cut off and inverted and hanging where you can watch the bees buzzing inside.

i just take a piece of meat or whatever and put it away from me. then we are both happy. but this year i have seen very little to no bees or wasps. even the birds are scarce. has me worried.

Find the nest! I had a huge underground nest at the back property line. I used some sort of spider powder stuff for underground nests that I found at Ace. Seemed to work well. Any other above ground nests, I use whatever spray I can find that shoots far. Last summer, we had a paper wasp nest that was basketball size in the same area of the yard. Took 4 cans to soak it.

Back