The farkin' weather forced me inside to cook thread...

JD McGee

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This is a continuation of thirdeye's thread where he was forced to cook his holiday meal inside due to inclimate weather. I was too and am curious how many other folks were as well. Regardless of the weather my wife and I managed a pretty decent Christmas dinner. Here are a few pics...

Rib roast rubbed with S&P and Herbs De Provence...

IMG_6445.jpg

IMG_6446.jpg

IMG_6452.jpg

IMG_6456.jpg

My wife's awesome au gratin potatoes...

IMG_6453.jpg

IMG_6455.jpg

Plate shot...

IMG_6454.jpg

Washed it down with a nice bottle of Merlot...

IMG_6438.jpg

Capped off the dinner with some deep dish apple pie...

IMG_6459.jpg

And a little something for Jake...

IMG_6458.jpg

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas...I know we sure did! :p

Even out of the oven, I don't see a thing wrong with that.

that looks terrible! :biggrin:

that much asparagus will make your piss stink :shock:

Looks good from where I am sitting!

I hear nthing but more chitty weather coming your way, JD. Keep your head down and ride it through!

that looks terrible! :biggrin:

that much asparagus will make your piss stink :shock:

So that's what that smell is...I thought it was the beer! :twisted:

I hear nthing but more chitty weather coming your way, JD. Keep your head down and ride it through!

Yep...it's gettin' old! My smokers miss me...they're so cold and miserable out there all by their lonesome! :lol::lol::lol:

My wife and I took a ride to see a movie this afternoon...the snow ruts are so deep in places my truck bottoms out! :mad:

Yup! Looks good JD!
I cooked in the garage under the eaves yesterday and had a kettle on standby in case the power went out. I can't believe the snow we're getting here!

Great looking food JD. I bet Jake didn't mind too bad that the meat wasn't smoked.:smile: Great looking dog there.

Yup! Looks good JD!
I cooked in the garage under the eaves yesterday and had a kettle on standby in case the power went out. I can't believe the snow we're getting here!

Thanks bro...I agree...this stuff is gettin' old! I can't wait to get out of this house and get back to q'n and grillin'...:roll: BTW...it's snowing again over here! :lol::lol::lol:

Hey, there nothing wrong with that! I feel for all of you stuck in that white cold stuff. That Apple pie looks Great as well.

Looks great John! As soon as we get two weekend days here that are not stormy, I'm smoking pork butts.
Your wife wouldn't care to share her awesome Au gratin recipe, would she?

That German Shepard pic brought back memories. My mom made a prime rib one time and put it on the table and guess what? You guessed it out the door ran our German Shepard prime rib in mouth. We almost had dog that year for dinner.

Looks great John! As soon as we get two weekend days here that are not stormy, I'm smoking pork butts.

She'd love to share it...I'll send you a PM shortly. :p

That German Shepard pic brought back memories. My mom made a prime rib one time and put it on the table and guess what? You guessed it out the door ran our German Shepard prime rib in mouth. We almost had dog that year for dinner.

:lol::lol::lol:...Jake would do the same if we didn't keep an eye on him. He ate a whole stick of butter not long ago...that was kinda interesting later in the day! :eek:

Great looking food JD. I bet Jake didn't mind too bad that the meat wasn't smoked.:smile: Great looking dog there.

He could care if it were even cooked! :lol:

Very nice prime rib, I would love some with potatoes please...

My wife said to post it here...it's not her recipe...it's "Betty Crocker" from the original orange book that her Aunt got her when she turned 13. She's been using it off and on ever since...:p

2 lbs potatoes
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 T flour
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
Paprika

Peel and thinly slice potatoes crosswise. Put all of the potatoes in a ungreased 2 qt baking dish.

In a 2 qt saucepan, cook on low heat and stir onion in butter til tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk and 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 min. Pour cheese sauce on potatoes. Cook uncovered in 325 degrees for 1 hr and 20 min or 375 degrees for 1 hr.

Mix the remaining cheese and bread crumbs and sprinkle over the potatoes. Sprinkle with Paprika. Cook uncovered 15-20 min till brown and bubbly. Makes 6 servings.

* I always use butter. I like more pepper, less salt and more onion. I hope you enjoy it! Rhana :smile:

Back