LaBarbecue - Austin

Rockinar

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Been meaning to go here for about 2 years now. Finally did it. Really good. Hard to judge these places because all of them have really great brisket and it tastes the same or similar....prime black Angus or other high end brisket, heavy salt and pepper cooked with post oak. I don't think I have had "bad" brisket at any of them. Again here, really great brisket and you did not even have to take a bite to know it, you could tell just by looking at it. Ribs were really good, full spares, glaze was slightly sticky and had a very slight hint of sweet. Only downside was they were borderline fall off the bone, like Franklin ribs. I like mine with a bit more pull. They were still really good. Sausage I was not a fan of. Not sure if it was texture or taste or both. Just was not a fan. Potato salad I thought was really good. Simple classic style (czech/german?) with heavy mustard base the way I like it. Has some type of herb in it and bits of potato skin too. Line moves pretty slow but its not too painful. Once you get inside the door, you still have about a 35-45 minutes. Also drinks are oddly served separate from the BBQ (LaBarbecue is inside a Quick Mart building). You pay for your BBQ tray then go put your tray where you are going to sit. Then go get you drink from the Quick Mart area and pay for it at the exact same counter, just a different register (no line or wait for that). Its kinda slightly confusing if you never been there before, but you have 35 minutes to stand there and figure it out as you people watch and wait in line. Parking I was a bit worried about because there's almost none, but there's plenty of street parking in the neighborhood behind it and it's non issue.

Overall really good. Since Franklin has the longest line and is the most famous, I will use that as what I'm judging against. My opinion, LaBarbecue is better than Franklin.

IMG-1091.jpg

IMG-1090.jpg

Last edited:
I had La Barbecue when John Lewis was there and the sausage was the best thing I had, with brisket a close second. Maybe he took the mojo with him because his hot guts in Charleston is all the rage.

I had La Barbecue when John Lewis was there and the sausage was the best thing I had, with brisket a close second. Maybe he took the mojo with him because his hot guts in Charleston is all the rage.

Yeah, it could just possibly be its just not my style, does not mean it was bad. Just my opinion. I think Franklin potato salad is the best, and I have heard a ton of people say they think its gross. Just different opinions.

Have yet to check out LaBarbecue but hope to whenever I'm out that way next. I've heard nothing but great things. Pretty safe bet that anything that has a Mueller involved is gonna be great - this is the only one from that family I haven't checked out yet.

Have yet to check out LaBarbecue but hope to whenever I'm out that way next. I've heard nothing but great things. Pretty safe bet that anything that has a Mueller involved is gonna be great - this is the only one from that family I haven't checked out yet.

LeAnn Mueller was there front and center cutting meat. I was going to take a pic, but did not want to look like a fanboy.

I ended up at LABBQ umpteen years ago when I couldn't get lunch anywhere else. The picture you show looks like an actual building whereas where I ate was more like a trailor park, lol. Stumbled upon it by accident the day before I met gtr for lunch at Franklins and never heard of it before. I think they were newish then. Both meals were excellent. After all these years though, I quite remember the brisket slice I had at LABBQ, Franklin's not as much. Just a couple years ago I had probably by most haunting brisket slice ever at Black's in Lockhart. I'd been there before and it was good, but they nailed it hard that day.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I was there when John Lewis was still there. Best bbq in Austin. Best sausage I've ever had. It's all good! I hung out with the guys tending the pits. They were really interested in how I cook and what I cook on. Had a blast. They did convince me to dial my temps down. Felt like I was talking to you guys. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back