Wagyu Brisket

hogzgonewild

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone have a supplier that is still shipping Wagyu Briskets above 12 or 13 lbs?

Thanks,
Hogz Gone Wild

I just checked SRF website. It shows 17-20 lb available. They've shown sold out for the last month or so.

I was thinking about it, since our brisket scores have been less than desirable...but after seeing prices, I think I'm going to stick with CAB briskets for now. Maybe if we were getting Top 10's in the other 3 categories and Brisket was keeping us from a Grand or RG, but I can't justify the cost yet!

I'll see you on Friday morning, Smokin Swine!

It was nice meeting you this weekend JT, enjoyed the half movie with you guys on Friday night. Good luck this weekend at Sam's, I may ride down there for a bit on Saturday afternoon if I am able.

how are your scores now?
What do the briskets look like that you have been using?

Wagyus are not needed to score well. If you are having a problem getting good or good sized briskets, a Wagyu supplier could help. But again they are not needed to score well.

I thought true Wagyu Brisket wasn't technically available outside of Japan?

Well, Scores in the past 3 competitions have been 41/70, 10/26, 20/31. We didn't have to cook Brisket last year in backyard, so I'm still trying to catch up with the field.

I've tried to stay with things that have won in the past...I'm using a 12-16lb Certified Angus Brisket, trimmed up, injected with Butchers Prime Injection, Rubbed down with Olive Oil then Plowboy's Bovine Bold. I'm cooking it to 160* then foiling it with Bub-Ba-Q's injection recipe (learned from his class) and cooking til 190-200* whenever it probes easily.

I'm then seperating point from flat and wrapping flat up in a blanket in a cooker til turn in.

With the flat, I'm cubing then panning with 1/2 cup Bub-Ba-Q's injection, 1/2 cup Blues Hog, and a few TBSP's of Au Jus. Cooking that for 2 hours up until turn in time.

I'm slicing the flat about 1/4" thick or a little less, painting both sides with Au Jus (which tastes like the best French Dip Au Jus I've ever had) and putting 10 slices in the box with 6-8 burnt ends.

Does anyone see any changes I should make?

One Idea I had was to inject with Bub-Ba-Q injection liquid at same time as foiling. (160*). Thoughts?

Thanks,
Hogz Gone Wild

There are a couple are a couple of questions do you think the butchers is affecting the taste of bubba's injection? What rubs are you using can affect it. Are you cooking techniques based on the class? Right now wagyu is winning in the south every contest I have been to this year it was the winning brisket. If you look usually 7 of the top 10 are wagyu.

Wagyu is not the magical cure all. It's not gonna get you any where without adding flavour. Without giving out what I've learned from classes n hard knocks. Work on your rub and what you add when you wrap it. I'm going up against 3 of the best brisket cooks in the country this weekend and I know they don't use wagyu.........we'll see????:boxing:

Yes I got a little Wagyu in the cooler.:icon_blush:

Wagyu is not the magical cure all. It's not gonna get you any where without adding flavour. Without giving out what I've learned from classes n hard knocks. Work on your rub and what you add when you wrap it. I'm going up against 3 of the best brisket cooks in the country this weekend and I know they don't use wagyu.........we'll see????:boxing:

Your right I don't use wagyu...nevermind lol.

I have gotten more consistant results with my CAB packers.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Not to take anything away from anyone above, but we've been going up against REALLY great brisket cooks lately, and I feel like I'm at a slight disadvantage when 6 out of 30 teams I'm competing against have scored 180's this year in the category and they are using Wagyu briskets.

I guess I'm looking at it this way, "Sure you can make a Ford Mustang a championship race car with the right parts and hard work, but it's a little easier if you start with a Ferrari." :becky:

I bet they're all thinking they are going up against THE best brisket cook in the country this weekend. :thumb: Good luck you guys.

Cool. Who is coming? Wagyu? Here I thought you were a CAB guy.

I thought true Wagyu Brisket wasn't technically available outside of Japan?
An interesting series on American Wagyu and "Kobe" beef y'all may want to look at.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryol...t-scam-part-2-domestic-kobe-and-wagyu-beef/2/

An excerpt:
The website of the AWA clearly says the term Wagyu includes everything from Angus to Holstein cows, but proposes that the selective breeding of “American Wagyu” – it pains me just to type those words – began with the importation of Tottori Black and Kumamoto Red bulls. Now these actually happen to be two very high quality breeds that in some cases produce beef that in Japan is considered superior to Kobe. But even if all producers were honest and stuck to these bloodlines, American Kobe would be questionable since the red breed is specifically banned in the production of real Kobe beef. But these bloodlines are not pure, because they have intentionally been crossbred with our cows to produce something that often has only a minority of Japanese breed heredity – yet they still call the result Wagyu.

Just to be clear, I am not saying that some of what is labeled Domestic Kobe or Wagyu is not good or even great. In fact, I believe it is entirely possible to breed a better beef than real Kobe. But it is impossible to know this if it is labeled nonsensically and with no consistency. If these mixes are better cattle resulting in better meat, they should simply market them accordingly and charge a premium for “Fred’s Special Angus/Kumamoto Mix,” or give it a catchier name, instead of claiming it is something it is clearly not.

I recently ate at a restaurant that featured a chicken I had never heard of on its menu. When I asked, the owner told me, “It’s a very rare breed in France, rarer than the famed Bresse. It’s like the Kobe beef of chicken.” So it’s from France, I inquired? “No, California, near LA.”

Hogz.....

You are putting waaaay too much emphasis on this "6 cooks have a 180 this year" thing.

My big question is... why/how have there been 6 180's in brisket in north GA in 2012 already?? Is the brisket THAT good? Maybe so. There wasn't a 180 in brisket at Rome and most of those 180 brisket cooks were there.

Do you know that the 180 in Young Harris wasn't a Waygu but a CAB?

My point- Look towards making slight improvements on your current method/recipe. Wholesale changes can bite you.

Thanks Pigs on Fire....I think I'm just generally frustrated with my Brisket. The CAB briskets I think are pretty good too. I'm hoping to make a few changes in my recipe that will help also. I'm just not sure where to start. For example, this past weekend we bombed in ribs...but I know what was wrong, and I know what to change to fix it....on the other hand, we thought our brisket was amazing...It pulled elasticly without falling apart and had a great juicy/beefy taste, and even finished it off for dinner that night, but the judges thought differently.

Back