Should I make the switch to a pellet smoker?

sorry my point was just that all pellets are not created equal.

And fiberglass is better than a tuna can

;)

Mesquite or Hickory 100% base wood (alder or oak) with flavor oils no actual Mesquite or Hickory wood in the pellet

Apple, Pecan or Cherry 70% base wood 30% Apple, Pecan or Cherry wood
Maple 100% Maple wood
Alder on the west coast is 100% Alder on east coast 70% oak 30% Alder
Oak on the east coast is 100% Oak on the west coast 70% Alder 30% Oak

Yep, that's the same as using logs from my Alder/Oak hybrid tree in the backyard. It's a 50/50 hybrid since it's a first generation. The next generation will be 75/25, which should be close enough to the appropriate Traeger Authentic BBQ ratio.

My next project is to get a 50gal drum of "flavor oils" and start soaking some oak logs, so I can get that genuine Pecan flavor.

My next project is to get a 50gal drum of "flavor oils" and start soaking some oak logs, so I can get that genuine Pecan flavor.

Good for you! Pecan is SO hard to find in Texas!:tongue:

Good for you! Pecan is SO hard to find in Texas!:tongue:

I used to use pecan all the time. But it has become harder and harder to find in my area, consequently the price going up. So several years ago I switched to using a mix of oak and hickory. Both are plentiful around my parts. I've been very pleased with the results. Oak burns HOT!

I used to use pecan all the time. But it has become harder and harder to find in my area, consequently the price going up. So several years ago I switched to using a mix of oak and hickory. Both are plentiful around my parts. I've been very pleased with the results. Oak burns HOT!

If you quit burning so much of it, maybe you'd have more available for cooking! :loco:

I've got a UDS that I love and use almost every weekend. I'm considering adding a pellet smoker to my collection (most likely a Trager Grill).

What does everyone think - is it worth considering? I've never used a pellet grill before and only know about them based on what I have read online.

NOTHING out cooks my drums, not my Jambo, not the Pitmaker or Backwoods I had and sold. There are some logistical issues I did not like which now have me on an offset / stick burner. I've cooked on an FEC and a Traeger and I'd put my drums up against those as well. Each pit produces a different color profile and taste.

All that being said, do what you want. No one person here can define your needs or tastes.

* Disclaimer... I am a dealer of pellet smokers (and charcoal smokers, offset smokers, gas grills, etc.)

If you can cook great barbecue on one pit, you can cook it on all pits. That being said, I wouldn't trade my Yoder pellet smoker for anything, and trust me, I have a lot of stuff I can cook on in the shop. From large trailer mounted custom offsets to small charcoal smokers. I have more smokers available to me than most anyone I know, and I won't cook on anything but a Yoder pellet unless I have to.

Now, this is just my opinion, and YMMV, but I am an avid supporter of pellet smokers (though I'd have a hard time telling you to buy a Traeger when there are much better built more versatile units out there) and believe they deliver the best of all worlds.

Never cooked on one, but I do know that the #1 or #2 professional team in the competition circuit recently switched to a yoder pellet smoker (can't remember the name of the team, but they're from florida). Now, this is because Yoder is their new sponsor, but Yoder also makes offsets and such that they could have gone with over the 640, but they went with the 640 pellet pooper. That must count for something (and from the research I've done, Yoder seems to be the cream of the crop as far as pellet poopers go).

Also- I find it funny that everyone has been ragging on the pellets, while some guys show up to comps with nothing but kingsford blue bag as their fuel source. I'd probably take some pellets over regular kingsford any day (again, I haven't used them, but I really dislike kingsford blue bag when it comes to indirect cooks).

i started out on a pellet cooker, its my baby. i like using it for longer cooks; butts and brisket. i have about a dozen or so cooks on a wsm and am getting more and more confident with it.

I have a Memphis Pro pellet cooker, it works great.
I also use a horizontal wood burner, UDS, cinderblock pit, and some others.

Each one is different but I love all of them for what they do.

I have 2 uds and was given an old traeger that I have resurrected and updated with the latest controller.

I love my traeger.

For smaller cooks and "set it and forget it" easy use it can't be beat.

Use different pellets to give more or less smoke flavor. Oak, hickory or mesquite for a stronger smoke flavor. And fruit woods like apple or cherry for ailder

Ive been tempted, and I like pellet cookers in theory, but I find that the temp is not as consistent as advertised - lots of 80 degree yo-yo action in high end FEC models even!

Plus, I like the taste of charcoal and wood or just wood much better.

Ive been tempted, and I like pellet cookers in theory, but I find that the temp is not as consistent as advertised - lots of 80 degree yo-yo action in high end FEC models even!

Not really. My FEC swings across about a 20 degree range once warmed up and my Memphis Pro stays within about 10 degrees once warmed up.

Also, The FEC is insulated and the Memphis Pro is double wall so both are very consistent is all kinds of weather.

The lower end pellet smokers/grills like the Traeger will have bigger swings and will be uneven across the cook surface.

But... If you consider that you are cooking for anywhere from 5 - 15 hours depending on the meat and cook temp, short term variations in temperature will average out and if you didn't watch the temp you would never know that they happened.

I've got both a Traeger and a UDS. The UDS rarely gets used anymore while the Traeger gets put to work 3-4 nights a week. It's really nice to be able to turn it on and off quickly. If I only want a 20-30 minute cook I can fire up the traeger and not have to worry about it coming up to temp, cooling back down, wasting fuel etc.

The quality of food which comes off of it is in line with what my UDS has put out and it has given me the ability to cook with smoke on a much more regular basis.

x2 , i have both as well , only time I use my UDS is when camping

There is a guy close by that sells Green Mountains pellet cookers and another close buy selling Traegers. Between the two I was most impressed with the Green Mountains but don't really know anything about pellet cookers. My question is, which one is better in your opinion.

Traeger is the most popular but others have better cookers

Also would like to add,

I wouldn't look at a traeger as replacing your uds, I would lookat it as complementing the uds.

I haven't quit using my udses since I got the traeger. I occasionally will have both drums and the traeger cooking at the same time.

I tried switching, but they offered so little for my wife...

Back