A Tale of Two Eggs

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Egg Number One is quietly and slowing trudging through the ice, snow and cold to deliver a brisket from its presuming corned state to pastrami heaven. The whole brisket has a flat about a foot wide and weighs 20 lbs. I had to coax it pretty hard to fit into a large BGE. I took the spice bags that came with the brisket to boil it for corned beef and ground them into a powder. Added Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper and Bovine Bold to complete the rub down.

Christmas2009001.jpg

Christmas2009002.jpg

Christmas2009003.jpg

Christmas2009006.jpg

Thats a seriously large brisky! :shock:

Corn it yourself?

Egg Number Two's first mission was a hot sear on some USDA Prime ribeye steaks. The fire ring was removed to get the grate down on the fire. An abundance of Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper made a tasty crust. Double dunked french fries and a hearty merlot made for a delicious Christmas Eve meal.

Christmas Eve at my grandparents was traditionally steaks, hash browns and oyster stew. The pat of butter is in rememberance of my grandfather. That's always how he'd eat a steak. This is the second Christmas without him.

Christmas2009009.jpg

Christmas2009020.jpg

Christmas2009023.jpg

electra225-1.jpg

Whoa, that briskie is a wide glide for sure :biggrin: An Electra 225 has nothing on it.

That steak was like butter.

The brisket is from Restaurant Depot. It was corned already. That's a bussing tub to give you some perspective on the size.

Egg Number Two has been converted to brisket cooker #2. Fire ring was added back in and a plate setter added. One thing to note, once the cast iron gets hot, it expands making it harder to get the grate out. Oops. A small Waygu flat will go on Egg Number Two in the morning for Christmas dinner.

Using Templeton Rye staves for the Pastrami and Waygu.

OMG, those steaks look fantastic! Lovin the marbeling!

Dang, I just saw those steaks...... I'm at a loss for words.

OMG, those steaks look fantastic! Lovin the marbeling!

I had to call my wife in as I was cutting them. Never scored anything like this before.

Now I'm looking forward to the Prime CAB strip loin we've got aging for New Year's Day. Pork fat rules, but beef fat ain't a bad thing either.

Todd, you should look at the spider Tom sells. Gets you right on the fire without taking the ring out.

BTW...You have nice meat.:twisted:

Great job on the steaks! Great marbling!

I'm waiting for you take on the pastrami! That must have been a monster cow!

Looking forward to my first jar of Bovine Bold. Steve sent it out on Monday, so I should have it on Saturday for T-Bone night!

Todd, as always, you have outdone yourself!

Todd, you should look at the spider Tom sells. Gets you right on the fire without taking the ring out.

BTW...You have nice meat.:twisted:

Yes, I've been eyeing those. This was the first time I've pulled the fire ring to cook down on the fire like that. Turned out GREAT. I think a spider is in my future.

Great job on the steaks! Great marbling!

I'm waiting for you take on the pastrami! That must have been a monster cow!

It is really tender feeling and the marbling looks good. I wonder how much of the size and weight was the brine. You can see a few of the needle marks where it went through the machine. It was probably pumped up pretty hard.

I plan to take pastrami to the neighbors tomorrow.

Rib eye be our favorite. Unfortunately Prime is not obtainable around here. I am one jealous dude. Yours look droolin' good.

Back