Installing the BBQ Guru Pit Viper on WSM - Video

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I installed my Pit Viper fan on the the Weber Smokey Mountain this afternoon. I'm not 100% sure this method is going to work out perfectly but we'll find out soon. The Weber adapter did not fit the shape of the WSM as much as I had hoped it would, but I think this installation is probably going to work fine as long as my tape on the inside of the smoker holds up. Even if it does not hold up, I think it will be fine anyway...

http://youtu.be/_bwOUjFgLyE

You did a great job on the video. Not sure why yours didn't fit correctly though. Mine is about 1 yr or so old and it fit just fine.

Doug

why in the world did it take so much engineering to get it to fit right? Was it the wrong adapter?

I dunno.. maybe it fits the 22.5 better than the 18.5... I could only make the adapter fit flush on one side so I used the tape to seal it up on both sides...

I dunno anything about the Guru but it seems like it should fit better than that. Your tape will probably do the job but it seems like you're going to have to replace it from time to time. I'd e-mail them a link to that video and see if that's how it's supposed to be.

I dunno anything about the Guru but it seems like it should fit better than that. Your tape will probably do the job but it seems like you're going to have to replace it from time to time. I'd e-mail them a link to that video and see if that's how it's supposed to be.

Good idea... I just did that. I'll wait for a response.

Looking at the parts, I can understand why its not fitting flush on both sides. I just thought the WSM adapter would be designed to make a better fit than that.

After 48 hours I have not received a response to my question for tech support on this. Is that normal for BBQ Guru?

Nice job on the video.

I never had any issues setting up the WSM adapter on the 18" or 22" bullets.

Lose the tape and go with stainless plugs instead. The look is cleaner, tighter and are easier to R&R than tape.

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

Here is my po' boy gooroo!

IMG_0085.jpg

I dunno.. maybe it fits the 22.5 better than the 18.5"

Winner, winner, Chicken Dinner. That is the correct answer. Same size Guru adapter, different sized spherical radius. The smaller one is more curved, the bigger one is more flat.

Nice job on the video. I hope you can get a proper adapter, so you can lose the tape...For the price of that unit, you should not have to cobble it together.

Nice job on the video. I hope you can get a proper adapter, so you can lose the tape...For the price of that unit, you should not have to cobble it together.

Agreed. For $270 you shouldn't have to use tape to make it work.

It's been about three days since I put in the tech support request with BBQ Guru and I haven't received any response. I'm not unhappy with the way it's set up now but I would be a lot happier with a better fit.

Back