Temp Settings For My New Vision Kamado Grill

GoingPostal

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I just joined and this is my first post.

I purchased the Vision Grill Classic 2 days ago and had no idea how to control the temperature. I cooked a pizza last night. I wait until the temperature reached 600 and popped in the pizza and few minute later it was done. I got lucky, I didn't burn the pizza.

I had plan to cook ribeye and baked potatoes on the grill this evening. So I spend the whole afternoon playing with my grill. Through trial and error and many hours of trying different setting, I came up with the chart below. I hope it helps others.

I used the built in thermometer for my test (I order a Maverick wireless today). Here's how I got the desired temp. I fully opened the top and bottom vent. Once the temp. was 10-15 degrees from my desired temp. I closed both top and bottom. I would wait for the temp. to stabilize. I would tweak the bottom and top until I could hold the desired temp. for 10 minutes. The lower temp. were easy. I had a hard time with 400 and 450.

Vision Grill Temperature Settings

Temp.------Bottom Vent------------Top Vent
200----------2-------------------------crack top
225----------2 1/2---------------------crack top
250----------4-------------------------crack top
275----------4--------------------------1/3
300----------5 1/2----------------------crack top
350----------1 1/2----------------------1/4
400----------4--------------------------1
450----------8--------------------------3/4

After I completed 450. I closed the top and bottom to drop the temp. to 400 and tossed 3 potatoes in foil for 45 minutes using the setting for 400 above. The temp. drop when i first put the potatoes in. Within a couple of minutes the temp. when back to 400 and stayed. The potatoes came out perfect. Next, I fully opened the top and bottom to reach 600 degree and tweaked the settings until I could hold 600.To hold 600, I moved both lower slides half way and set the top to 1. It took a few tweaks to get the temp to hold, but it didn't take long.

I need more practice but i feel like I can control the grill.

Congrats on the new cooker! What type of fuel were you using?

The oddly named www.nakedwhiz.com has all sorts of reviews on charcoal, worth a look. Mesquite is good for high temp grilling, not so much for slow smoking.

Back