who here is still make'in their OWN rub/sauces & using them..

atvalaska

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
used my own stuff @ the jack and gave all the
ingredients away when i left, just thinking out loud here........:icon_blush:

It was great meeting you at the Jack (I was the one with the black cowboy hat. LOL)

While I don't use rubs from scratch during comps, I also don't just use one rub. It's more often a mix of 4 or 5 different rubs. As for the sauce, again, it may have started as a commercial sauce but I've doctored them up again...

The last comp I was involved in the team made it's own rubs and sauce, they did pretty well. But, many of the high scores went to sauces based on Blues Hog. There is a tendency, I believe, for judges to find a familiar flavor profile and whether they know it or not, gravitate towards it.

I dont use anything straight. I do make my own rub for a few things, but mix commercially for others. Dont have time anymore to make them myself

Quau does all his own from what I understand.

I use my own rub on pork, ribs, and chicken...commercial on brisket. I use a modified commercial sauce on all. Am working on my own sauce this off season...

Make mine for pork and ribs, Rob's used mine to finish his chicken, and will be using my brisket next year when I'm competiting on my own. Need to tweak the pork & ribs some, but its close. Sauce - too much work on the sauce front as of right now. Rub's much easier

My own rub and my sauce 2/3rds with 1/3rd mixture of BH Original and Tennessee Red.

We make our own, i think it is cheaper to do it yourself, some of the commercial rubs are getting pricey , just my opinion. And you get a little more satisfaction of it. I have tried others though, just happy with mine.:clap2:

Back