New/old Weber Performer problems

rw02kr43

Full Fledged Farker
I found a williams sonoma edition weber preformer in the garbage the other day. Of course I picked it up. It's in good condition and has the propane tank. But it's empty. I went to have it filled and no one will fill it. It has a quick disconnect and they say it's over 10 yrs old. How can I either get it filled or change the lines to accept one of those small coleman propane bottles?

Thanks
Jason

I just found out they won't fill propane tanks that are dated over 10 years too; you could see if you can buy a new one, do a search online, or if that doesn't work out, check with Weber customer service and see if you can get a new line that is compatible with the smaller coleman tanks...let us know what you come up with.

I restored a red head 98 and replaced almopst every part including the tank and regulator/hose. You will need the new OPD valve tank. The are pricey @$50. You can convert a larger propane tank to it for cheaper though. But I like the little tank. Once I started replacing stuff I couldnt stop.

Around here there are a couple of propane suppliers that will retest, replace the valve and certify your old tank, etc. If your tank can not be upgraded, they will usually recycle your old tank for free if you buy a new tank. That saves dealing with Haz Mat disposal. That might work for ya.

Go to an RV supply, a decent sporting goods or hardware store for the small tank. I've seen them anywhere from $35-55. Buy an Acme fitting to replace the QR male fitting on the regulator, and you should be good to go. Another option is to get a "Steak Saver" fitting and use the disposable propane tanks.

I haven't had any issues getting the tank on my Performer filled as of yet and it's about eight years old.
I wonder if this means in a couple years I'm going to have problems or if it's a specific cut off year?

BTW...I like the Steak Saver idea. Never heard of that one before...just another great tip from the Brethren!

What rock ya'll been sleeping under? :roll:

Take the tank to any cylindar exchange and get a new full one for about $20.00.

Those little tanks they dont exchange, at least I have not found any place. I checked literally 20+places. Finally it ticked me off enough to buy a new one. On the larger tanks everyone will exchange, but...the little tanks are a pain in the arse.

tanks

yeah no place around here will exchange the smaller tank. especially since it's so old. That's the problem

Jason

Has anyone considered asking a propane dealer if they will swap out valves on the mini's? I have had my 7 gal done and I think it was only about 20 bucks. They wont sell a valve, they have to install it, but thats my 2 cents worth

What rock ya'll been sleeping under? :roll:

Take the tank to any cylindar exchange and get a new full one for about $20.00.

^^
what he says.

"To enhance consumer safety from overfilled tanks, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has enacted code 58-2.3.1.5. In summary, the code states that tanks without OPDs can no longer be refilled by anyone. OPDs have triangular handwheels. All other tanks are obsolete and cannot be refilled."

I found a Weber Genesis Silver on the curb a few weeks ago w/o a tank. A friend had an old tank under his porch w/o an OPD having the "star" shaped handwheel and gave it me. The tank was manufactured in '98.

I took the thing to a Home Depot in my area (Arlington, VA) to exchange it for a newer filled tank expecting to contribute an upgrade fee. $18 and no charge for the newer tank. I believe the propane suplier was Amerigas.

Somewhere in my research I read that tanks are stamped with a manufactured date that indicates the start of its 12-year life span. Beyond that period, your tank must be inspected. Since your tank ia around eight years old, you most likely have the OPD.

Near the end of your tank's lifetime, exchange the thing for a newer tank and go back to your previous practice of getting it refilled at your propane vendor.

I haven't had any issues getting the tank on my Performer filled as of yet and it's about eight years old.
I wonder if this means in a couple years I'm going to have problems or if it's a specific cut off year?

I must have lucked out. My 98 performer has an ODP.
I did notice our local Ace has new 5# tanks in stock. $49 though.

Yes, you need an OPD. Tanks over 12 years old can be used if they are reinspected, but you probably won't find many that have the OPD that are that old.

If you are trying to convert your system to use a different kind of tank (like a modern 20 pound tank with an OPD) there are converters and hoses that will do the trick, but I find the big box stores don't have them. (Maybe they are worried about people blowing themselves up? :rolleyes:) I have found that http://www.tejassmokers.com/ is great for picking up those hard to find propane related items, and the prices are reasonable too.

Check your tank for a label that states the tank has an OPD valve. I picked up a 10 year old performer last year and the 5# tank valve is not the proper shape, but on the upper tank body there is a label stating that it is an OPD valve. My propane supplier would not fill it until I pointed out label to him. The certification on my tank is up this year, I will have to have it re-certified and it should be good for 5 years. Good luck, love my performer.

Back