Smoking Ribs For The First Time This Sunday

1) Keep the cover closed.
2) If doing spares, consider St. Louis cut.
3) Wait until the end to sauce, if at all.
4) Don't add rub that has salt until you are ready to cook them. Salt free rub can go on in advance.

Good luck.

225 degrees is not gospel.

Great ribs have been cooked at temps from 225-350.

Go by the bend test for doneness.

Keep the lid closed.

Use the minion method to start your fire.

If you foil don't take the 3-2-1 method as gospel.

Take your time.

Breathe.

225 degrees is not gospel.

Great ribs have been cooked at temps from 225-350.

Go by the bend test for doneness.

Keep the lid closed.

Use the minion method to start your fire.

If you foil don't take the 3-2-1 method as gospel.

Take your time.

Breathe.

Ok so Minion Method ... lay coals out in pan. Add more coals in a starter. Once lit add those to the already existing stack ...?

I've seen the bending test plenty so I know where to look for that. I'll take pics of the process, so y'all can help me ... or laugh at me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OK, "lay the coals out in the pan" has me a bit concerned. What smoker are you using that has a charcoal pan, not basket or grate or something that will allow good airflow?

OK, "lay the coals out in the pan" has me a bit concerned. What smoker are you using that has a charcoal pan, not basket or grate or something that will allow good airflow?

Ok, probably the wrong usage of words on my part. I have the below smoker. It has a basket with a small grate in it.

Attachments

• 039953520853.jpg
    039953520853.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 115
Ok so Minion Method ... lay coals out in pan. Add more coals in a starter. Once lit add those to the already existing stack ...?

I've seen the bending test plenty so I know where to look for that. I'll take pics of the process, so y'all can help me ... or laugh at me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yes add about 15-20 lit coals to the unlit ones in your charcoal basket.

If you are targeting a certain temperature get it to rise slowly and don't keep your vents too far open so that you don't go overboard.

Of course, I usually cook my ribs at 275+ so I don't stress about that at all.

Yes add about 15-20 lit coals to the unlit ones in your charcoal basket.

If you are targeting a certain temperature get it to rise slowly and don't keep your vents too far open so that you don't go overboard.

Of course, I usually cook my ribs at 275+ so I don't stress about that at all.

What temp do you aim for, for the ribs? Or, what time frame do you let them cook?

Dont leave'm in the crock pot too long or they will fall apart, only 2 drops of liquid smoke, and finish them in the microwave on high for 3 min.

:heh:

Aren't you supposed to start with frozen ribs for this method? (This is the method that you start with beef ribs and half way through they change into pork spares isn't it?) :tsk:

What temp do you aim for, for the ribs? Or, what time frame do you let them cook?

There is no definite temp that I'm aware of, use the bend test or toothpick test.

What kind of ribs are you cooking? BB, Spares-St. Louis cut?
What temp will you be cooking at?
Are you planning on using foil?

Probably doing BB
I guess I'll aim for the upper 200 on temp
More than likely

I aim for around 250, 4 hrs minimum for baby backs, brethren who do spareribs will probably suggest 5-6hrs around that temperature.

Dont leave'm in the crock pot too long or they will fall apart, only 2 drops of liquid smoke, and finish them in the microwave on high for 3 min.

:heh:
I thought you were supposed to boil them for 2 hours before you put them in the crock pot. :doh: Seriously, if you follow sandiegobbq's instructions you shouldn't have any problems. Good friends, cold brew and a Great Q ! :thumb:

I kind of see what my smoker will give me as far as temp is concerned.

I like 275 as a target temp. if it goes to 300 I don't worry.

If you are doing baby backs you can even go to 350.

It all depends on how thick they are and/or how much they weigh
to determine how long to cook them, every piece of meat is different.

I have done babys at 225-250 for about 4- 4.5 hours.

At higher temps they will cook faster.

If you go to 275 I would start checking at about the 2.5-3 hour mark.

I think for your first cook you should not foil and see how it comes out.

Maybe the next cook you can foil one rack and not foil the other and see which you like better.

Just like pizza everyone has their own tastes that they like.

One is not better than the other.

Some like theirs firmer, others like theirs almost falling off the bone.

The beauty of cooking your own bbq is that you can dial in your own
preferences.

I wish you luck.

When I started bbqing 11 years ago baby backs were the easiest for me for what that is worth.

Its important to keep a good steady temp in smoker. You can cook great ribs at 225, 250, 275. Just pick a temp and go with it. It's helpful to use a water pan in some smokers to stabilize temps and help with smoke ring. Baby backs will take approx 3.5 hrs at 250 and spares will take approx 4.5 to 5 hours at 250.

1. Peel membrane from back side of bones.
2. Trim excess fat from ribs.
3. Soak in apple juice overnight.
4. Pat dry and coat with canola oil.
5. Season with your favorite rub a few hours before cook. Use low or no sugar rubs at high temps ( above 250).
6. Place ribs directly on rack and smoke until mid cook 1.75 hrs for baby backs, and 2.5 for spares.
Light smoke is better than to much. Try blend of 1/3 hickory to 2/3 apple or cherry.
7. Mop with parkay (blue squeeze bottle), sprinkle with dry rub, and spray with apple juice mid cook. Close lid, no need to foil.
8. Check for done when getting close to end times listed above (I prefer toothpick...easy in/easy out). Spritz with apple juice when checking.
9. Coat with honey when done and cook cook another 10 minutes.
10. Wrap in foil an let rest 20 min before carving.
11. Serve with favorite sauce. You just might find that you will not even need the sauce.

I hope this helps.

Its important to keep a good steady temp in smoker. You can cook great ribs at 225, 250, 275. Just pick a temp and go with it. It's helpful to use a water pan in some smokers to stabilize temps and help with smoke ring. Baby backs will take approx 3.5 hrs at 250 and spares will take approx 4.5 to 5 hours at 250.

1. Peel membrane from back side of bones.
2. Trim excess fat from ribs.
3. Soak in apple juice overnight.
4. Pat dry and coat with canola oil.
5. Season with your favorite rub a few hours before cook. Use low or no sugar rubs at high temps ( above 250).
6. Place ribs directly on rack and smoke until mid cook 1.75 hrs for baby backs, and 2.5 for spares.
Light smoke is better than to much. Try blend of 1/3 hickory to 2/3 apple or cherry.
7. Mop with parkay (blue squeeze bottle), sprinkle with dry rub, and spray with apple juice mid cook. Close lid, no need to foil.
8. Check for done when getting close to end times listed above (I prefer toothpick...easy in/easy out). Spritz with apple juice when checking.
9. Coat with honey when done and cook cook another 10 minutes.
10. Wrap in foil an let rest 20 min before carving.
11. Serve with favorite sauce. You just might find that you will not even need the sauce.

I hope this helps.

Hmmm some interesting techniques here! Some stuff I've never heard of, and they all sound like great ideas!

The best advice I would give the OP is pick a method and give it a whirl. The first time you cook 'em you're gonna think "I should've done this" or "I should've done that" Remember, learn for next time, and most importantly (other than having fun) REPORT back to the brethren! WITH PRON preferably! :thumb:

Ok, I didn't want to do this, but what is PRON? Pictures I assume?

Back