Site setup question (canopy)

jketron

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm going to purchase my first canopy for comp and I decided on a Caravan 10x10 Classic, it comes with the sides and I'm going to also buy the screen sides too.

My question is about the leg weights, I want to make sure to have something hold this thing down in some wind. The fancy leg pockets look nice but are they practical? I dont plan on carrying sand or stone with me to fill them and I dont want to lug all that dead weight around.

What do you use to hold down your canopy as needed?

What do you think about a 5 gallon bucket on each corner and filling them as needed with water? use a rope to secure the to the uppers in each corner

I used these. They are light and small when empty, and heavy enough when filled with water, which was always available when I did comps. They work on grass and concrete. Just tie the stake rope to them with a taught line hitch. They don't last forever but are affordable and available at walmart. I think I lost 1 or 2 in over 15 comps, and at least one was because it was crushed.

dmp

I sill have my ols weights from when I was a kid. I tape or bungee a25 pound plate on each leg which ha worked very well. The weights are flat and easy to transport and were just sitting in the garage.

we just strap our coolers to the legs with ratchet straps. They are full, and heavy.

also, you may want to consider the 10x20 caravan instead.

If you are on grass those dog stakes that screw in to the ground are cheap and work great.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

We do the 4 five gallon bucket/water with ratchet straps. also remember that if high winds do blow in, lower the awning as low as possible.

I have the EZ up sandbags. Frankly I got tired of loading and unloading them. It is a lot easier to use the bucket method. Plus if you get rain and a muddy mess it is easier to deal with with buckets than those bags full of waterlogged sand.

you need a couple of buckets if you are cooking out of a tent. You also probably have several coolers around. Just make sure to do something to secure your tents. unsecured tents on asphalt is asking for trouble.

We use two 5 gallon buckets filled with water and ratchet straps to oposite corners of the 10 x 10 EZ-UP canopy, also gives us extra water if we run out of the 15 gallons on board the trailer.

We use a couple 10x10's and/or a 10x20. Just depends on the situation. As mentioned. The screw in dog stakes are our preferred method. 5 gallon buckets filled with water are our second choice. Both using ratchet straps secured to the 4 corners (and the middle of the 10x20) of the canopy frame. If at all possible we try to situate at least one canopy next to or over the trailer and anchor the canopy to it. Cheers!!!

As others have said, coolers are great and usually heavy enough to hold a couple of sides. I also strap my 10x10 to my trailer hitch or cargo loops in my truck, so far so good.

If it gets too windy, drop the top down to your lowest level, I've seen quite a few canopies fly here in tornado alley.

One problem with coolers is that they get lighter as the competition goes on :-D

We set up next to the trailer whenever possible. Two sides of the EZ Up are anchored to the trailer and the two other legs are anchored by coolers with ice. No carrying dead weight.

that's another good questions about number of or size of single canopy. I bought the single 10x10 and was thinking about getting another 10x10. If I need I will set them side by side, if I dont need then I have the flexibility to not use he second one. This is my first so I dont know what I'm talking about. The comp that I'm going to has a 20x20 spot. I was thinking that I will use the one canopy, 2 6 foot or 8foot tables in an "L" and the smoker out behind the tent. Do you think I will need more than 10x10?

I haven't run a full practice run at home yet (just like a comp matching turn in times) but I plan to once my canopy gets here (week or so)

We use two 10x10s because we're old and like chairs in the shade.
shiner.gif
We use three 6-foot tables in a U configuration, so that takes up most of the "kitchen" canopy. VQ puts his cot out in the "seating area" canopy overnight.

If there's a likelihood of serious rain, we'll move the WSMs under cover or use a third canopy just for them. We'll also turn/fold and clip the canopy edges that meet, making gutters so that the rain will run off to the sides rather than drip down between them.

Back