Better Duck! Bigmista has an idea...

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I was looking at the naked buffalo butts and I got to wondering. I know most of us would never turn in chicken without the skin. But what about the bone?

What if you cut the bone out of thigh, trimmed it, rolled the extra skin around it and then smoked it? Any ideas on how that might come out?

Judges, how would you score an entry like that?

Put a nice southwestern or cajon seasoning on top of it all and use your wood of choice and that skin would keep it moist and juicy.

Sounds interesting. Couldn't you do it with breasts, too?

I don't know. Never tried it. Just an idea at this point...

Is it too soon to bring up stuffing something in there where the bone was?

that sounds kinda dirty

not that theres anything wrong with that.

I was looking at the naked buffalo butts and I got to wondering. I know most of us would never turn in chicken without the skin. But what about the bone?

What if you cut the bone out of thigh, trimmed it, rolled the extra skin around it and then smoked it? Any ideas on how that might come out?

Judges, how would you score an entry like that?

I have turned in bonless and skinless at competitions before! I was also drinking half gallons of JD at the time!

Andy of HoDeDo does his thighs like that (if I remember right).
Nice lookin pkg.
ModelMaker

So when are you going to try this? PICS PICS PICS.

i don't know about competition, but i just ate the last one of these for lunch and it was damn good, mon!

12jul07chickenjaps-012.jpg

As a judge, I would not score down because it was boneless or skinless.

Run a few practice cooks and post some pics.

I believe the Brethren is making me a better, judge.

has anyone ever submitted jerk chicken?

or is it too "different"?

8jul07-013.jpg

Judges (in Cali anyway) are basically wimps. They can't stand any heat event though (in my opinion) BBQ should be spicy.

it's easy to control the heat with the amount of peppers and using jalapenos instead of habanero, but anything not a red sauce probably wouldn't make it i reckon. i'm gonna try it anyway one day!

There goes your chance of winning anywhere in California. You never call the judges anything but honorable judges! Guess this should also be on the CBBQA forum by now.

have fun, Arlie

As a judge, I've seen boneless and skinless thighs. They looked kind of spiffy, but small...the ones I've seen had the bone removed and then the skin was tightened up around them. They tasted good...but they definately drew some comments from the judges. I've seen some boneless/skinless breasts, too....some good, a couple great, some dry and sad...the breast was usually added to the box along with thighs.

I'd be real careful about stuffing for KCBS or FBA turnin -- I'd maybe try them in an "anything but" event...remember, this are BBQ meat events...if it doesn't strike the judges as BBQ the scores will reflect it...whether you agree or not!!

There goes your chance of winning anywhere in California. You never call the judges anything but honorable judges! Guess this should also be on the CBBQA forum by now.

have fun, Arlie

Never said they weren't honorable. Just can't take any heat. They want it sweet.

OK, here is my first experiment. Keep in mind that I don't usually do chicken on my team.

chixexperiment1.jpg

chixexperiment2.jpg

chixexperiment3.jpg

chixexperiment4.jpg

What did I learn?

1. Be careful where you place your probe. Temps are lower at the side of the barrel.

2. Marinade longer that an hour.

3. Don't sauce the skin and put it back in the smoker if you want crispy skin. Get the skin how you like it, then put a light coating of sauce on it before you serve it.

4. It's nice to bite a thigh and not worry about a bone or grissle. Especially if the skin stays on.

Now to go throw on that brisket...

Back