My Workhorse Pits 1969

Any idea of the temp in the firebox when cooking indirect?

I didn't try to measure it. I should be able to make it any temp I like with different amounts of charcoal and/or wood.

LOL - great looking cat however! Cats > dogs :grin:

A distant ancestor of mine was Archibald Campbell, 3rd Duke of Argyll. When I was given a Scottish Fold cat by a friend at work, I named him accordingly.

Little did I know there would later be a silly movie titled Argylle featuring a cat owned by Claudia Schiffer (often a CGI version of her cat) that looks almost like mine.

For the record, my Argyll is better looking than Claudia's movie star cat. :cool:

A distant ancestor of mine was Archibald Campbell, 3rd Duke of Argyll. When I was given a Scottish Fold cat by a friend at work, I named him accordingly.

Little did I know there would later be a silly movie titled Argylle featuring a cat owned by Claudia Schiffer (often a CGI version of her cat) that looks almost like mine.

For the record, my Argyll is better looking than Claudia's movie star cat. :cool:
yeah, but Claudia... yeow!!! :tongue:

I've run several long cooks now, and the firebox has stayed shiny. 3/8" steel is pricey to ship and difficult to move around, but I'm beginning to think it might be ridiculously durable. Too durable?

57 did you make that coal basket yourself or buy it pre-made?

I've used my cowboy grill to catch up sides that aren't hot enough and I've used it with a steel wok for sides also. It didn't take the Mrs long to realize she could pass off the sides to me. I've made a couple proteins that I considered using it to sear after smoking but have had a nice enough bark that i didn't have to. Was money well spent.

As I continue to get acquainted with my 1969 I thought I'd post something about how hot the 3/8" thick firebox gets. I took readings all over it just now, and the hottest spot I could find was 414°F four hours into a cook and five hours after I lit the fire. Most of the firebox read down in the 300s.

This isn't hot enough to burn off cured linseed oil very quickly at all, so I suspect that the rust I've seen on these pits here and there on YouTube is the result of negligence. Wipe a little more oil on there from time to time, and you should never see rust. At least that's how it seems so far.

at what temp does the linseed cook off/degrade??

Good question. Before I got the 1969 and all I had to go on was YouTube I thought my firebox exterior would go above 600°F and anything on there except stove paint was pointless. Now that I see that it stays much cooler I have no idea. Guessing north of 450°F.

Back