The quest for the perfect fatty continues this weekend

chingador

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Thanks again for this awesome sight. Even though I have been Q'ing for a few years already, I have learned so much in such a little time on this site but the thing that has really caught my attention is the fatty. I am on the quest for the perfect fatty now. Please allow me to take you through my fatty travels up to this point.

Here is a list of what I have tried;

Fatty #1: Basic regular Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage, no stuffing, Grub rub on the outside. Smoked over hickory for about 3 hrs over hickory in the Dera to 165 deg. internal. Nice smoke ring, good smokey flavor. I liked it, but was a little underwhelmed with the finished product flavor and texture wise.

Fatty #2: Jimmy Dean maple flavored sausage. I tried this because so many people on this board seem to like it. I was not really happy with this one at all. I really did not like the combo of the smoke flavor and fake maple flavoring. Cross that one of of the list for the ole chingador.

Fatty #3: Jimmy Dean bold country flavor (or something like that) made relleno style (asadero cheese stuffed roasted poblano chile stuffed inside the fatty). Now were getting closer. 2 critiques. 1 is that I used the canned chiles and was not really pleased with the "canned" taste at all in communion with the sausage and cheese. Next time I will fire roast a poblano chile and stuff with cheese for a fresher flavor. Once again, I am not thrilled with the "breakfast sausage" flavor of the Jimmy Dean. I am looking for something a little more cleaner, which will be discussed below.

Conclusions from the 1st 3 fatties: I am really not crazy about the flavor of the Jimmy Dean, so the sausage used will change. Please do not flame me for this. I know that there are plenty who swear by JD, but it is not exactly what I am looking for here. Of course, if I am making a fatty with tomorrow's breakfast in mind, a bold country flavored JD fatty is good enough.

4th fatty: Fresh italian sausage (hot) removed from casings, formed into a fatty, stuffed with carmalized onions, bell peppers, garlic, sun dried tomatoes and mozzerella cheese. We are still getting closer. I like using the higher quality italian sausage and feel that it is much better than using JD. One problem, though. I really do not think that the heavy smoke flavor is the best match for the natural flavor profile of the Italian sausage. It made some awesome sammiches the next day but would have been better without the smoke flavor. What is the point of a fatty without smoke flavor so 86 the idea of Italian sausage fatties.

5th fatty: Johnsonville bratwurst (raw) sausage, removed from casings to form a fatty and stuffed with carmelized onions, garlic, saerkraut, and swiss cheese. NOW we are cooking with gas!!! The flavor profile and texture of raw brats in fatties is second to none in my opinion. The flavor is understated but has enough seasoning that you know it is there.
the quality of the meat really shines though (of course when talking sausage, the term quality is relative) and surpasses JD in my opinion. At this point brats will be the base sausage used for all of my fatties unless the next option works.

Which brings me to Fatty #6 which will be tried tomorrow.

Fatty #6: Czech pan suasage fatty which will be stuffed with fresh jalepenos and cheese. I grew up eating this stuff at my Czech grandmas house. It is commonly used in Kolaches around central as well as central-south Texas in czech communities. It has a very delicate flavor because the only spices used are salt, pepper and garlic. The quality of the ground pork is outstanding. This could be the perfect sausage for stuffed
fatties if all goes well. I will post up results tomorrow or Sunday.

In this case, the journey is the best part. Stay tuned.

keep on smoking brother!
i was thinking of a chrizo flavored fatty not stuffed with it just seasoned

chingador said:
5th fatty: Johnsonville bratwurst (raw) sausage, removed from casings to form a fatty and stuffed with carmelized onions, garlic, saerkraut, and swiss cheese.

Excellent post Ching! :eusa_clap I will try the #5 version the next time I smoke. I love bratwurst but never thought out of the box to use them in a fatty.

I look forward to hearing how #6 goes.

Last edited:
Chingador... I agree that Jimmy Dean's are not the best tasting...

My personal preference is for Jones brand logs.... Finer grind and better flavor...

MilitantSquatter said:
Chingador... I agree that Jimmy Dean's are not the best tasting...

My personal preference is for Jones brand logs.... Finer grind and better flavor...
i wonder which has the higher fat to meat ratio?

Dont worry that you dont like JD sausage. We all like different things. I personally dont like spicy food.

It sounds to me like you are on your way to making your own sausage to get it the way you like.

Keep trying variations to get it like you like it.

I'm with you Ching. The perfect fattie has always alluded me, even when others have cooked it. It's always OK, but nothing to write home about.

The bratwurst sounds like an interesting idea. The Italian butcher by me sells a pork sausage that is seasoned with only salt and pepper. It sounds like it could stand in for your Czech sausage, I'll have to try that.

When it comes to fatties, I also have my favorites. But I'm just wonderin' if maybe the rub you're using is not complimenting the particular brand and flavor of fatty. For example on some of the "hot" pork fatties, I may go with a sweeter rub, or use a spicy rub on a sweeter breakfast flavored fatty. A pepper blend rub is always a good all-around pick for me.

86204f67.jpg

Great post Ching. I too am always on the quest for the perfect fatty and really enjoyed your trials. Also, I too am Czech and enjoy Czech food. Will be looking forward to your results.

Have you tried the Slovacek's sausage? It is my current favorite.

Great post ching. I like to make my own brautwurst and Italian sausages. Most of the time I just freeze in bulk rather than stuff in casings. It takes a little effort, but the end product is outstanding. And you know exactly what's in it.

amen brothers. It is not so much that I do not like JD, it is more like I only like that flavor for one thing, and that is pan fried sausage patties for breakfast. When I use it for fatties, it just seems that the flavor doesn't work for me.

Personally, I like the Kroger brand sausage better that the Jimmy Dean. And I agree about trying different rubs. I'm always impressed by people who go to great lengths to find just the right flavor.

Kevin said:
Great post ching. I like to make my own brautwurst and Italian sausages. Most of the time I just freeze in bulk rather than stuff in casings. It takes a little effort, but the end product is outstanding. And you know exactly what's in it.

Not knowing whether it will wind up as a fatty or not, I either stuff my bulk sausage in these 1# bags or wrap in plastic and shape them before going in the freezer paper.

8d30537b.jpg

307b2f6e.jpg

I've taken basic breakfast sausage and mixed in a good amount of pure maple syrup.
Makes for an outstanding fattie.

Results are in. The quality is very good. The funny thing is that it tasted just like the typical czech smoked sausage that is prevelant around here. Duh. Awesome flavor, awesome texture, and great color. A real winner. I stuffed it with asadero cheese and smoked jalepenos and will enjoy with bisquits tomorrow morning.

All in all, I still prefer the bratwurst for fatty material. That is still the best ever IMHO.

Here are some pics.........

Last edited:
*drool*

I really didn't need to see that before lunch.

Fattie (mod)

IMHO - I seem to get better results by busting up the sausage (roll or bulk) & re-forming it. That seems to get a better smoke ring then just plopping it in the smoker. I usually try to prep the fatties the night before, roll them in a rub & wrap 'em in plastic wrap, then toss 'em in the fridge overnight. Of course, that all depends on the amount of effort that I'm capable of at that time of night:wink: .
Dave

I threw a whole regular JD on the smoker last night, rolled in some of Willy B's bourbon rub, pulled it at 165ish, then let it rest.

Sliced it this morning and served over hot biscuits (the monster sized canned ones), topped with white gravy (a little bacon "drippings", flour, milk, salt and pepper).

Crumbled a little of the fatty in the gravy for extra goodness.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

I made my first fatty last Thursday. I used JD italian cuz it was the cheapest. Rubbed it with garlic salt and steak dust.
Shoved Jalepeno jack cheese slice up its arse and smoked it over mesquite for like 3 hours.
Damn it was good. I've never seen such a feeding frenzy. People in my family now think God works thru me when I smoke for them.

Single Fin Smoker said:
I made my first fatty last Thursday. I used JD italian cuz it was the cheapest. Rubbed it with garlic salt and steak dust.
Shoved Jalepeno jack cheese slice up its arse and smoked it over mesquite for like 3 hours.
Damn it was good. I've never seen such a feeding frenzy. People in my family now think God works thru me when I smoke for them.
He does brother, he does.:wink:

Back