Boneless Stuffed Turkey Roast on the Goldens' Cast Iron

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
This started out when I purchased a 20 lb turkey and put it in the freezer many months ago. I finally decided it was time to do something with it as it was taking up valuable room and coming up on 10 months or so. As my wife asked, what possessed me to buy a 20 lb turkey? I couldn't resist the price, which came to all of $11.60.

Not wanting to spatchcock it or roast it whole, I looked into other methods of preparation. A few videos had me convinced it wouldn't be all that difficult turning this into a boneless turkey. I've never attempted doing so before, so I might as well give it a shot.

De-boning took about 30 or 40 minutes, but the carcass and leg and thigh bones were out. I took the wings off completely. All the parts went into the stockpot and turned into turkey broth which is in the freezer.

One floppy turkey, having lost its fight with my butcher knife -

Got out the trusty needlenose pliers and removed all those tendons -

The intent is to get all the meat somewhat uniform in thickness, so a few slices here and there and it's ready for seasoning. Seasoning was S&P and Plowboys Yardbird, inside and out.

What to stuff it with? A Sausage and Bread Stuffing with some Spinach. Looks tasty already -

Now for the fun part. Rolling and tying this beast. Somehow I managed -

The Goldens' gets the call today. I put the searing plate in and got the temps stable between 375 - 425. And on it goes -

I remembered I had a bag of cranberries in the freezer. You can't have a Turkey dinner without Cranberry Sauce. Since I started making my own, I'll never go back to the canned stuff.

Cranberries getting happy -

The Turkey Roll looking quite good out on the Goldens' -

Done and resting -

A slice through the white meat center -

Rather than having roasted sweet potatoes I decided to make Baked Sweet Potato Fries. For something different other than steamed or roasted Green Beans, the Green Beans were sauteed with garlic and bacon.

Plated. Nothing like a Thanksgiving Dinner on St Patrick's Day :mrgreen: -

What more could you ask for? Turkey, Stuffing, Cranberry Sauce, Green Beans w/ Garlic & Bacon and Sweet Potato Fries -

A slice through the dark meat section of the roll -

This was quite the challenge, but well worth it. Removing the bones of a whole turkey was something I'd never done before. But the results turned out excellent and it was nice simply being able to carve the turkey like you would a roast.

Thanks for checking out this post and following along with today's Sunday Dinner preparation.

Regards,
-lunchman

Only thing I see missing is the gravy and soft rolls.

Great work...

Only thing I see missing is the gravy and soft rolls.

Great work...

Next time. :razz: The Mrs purchased two more turkeys she found on sale a few weeks ago, fortunately they're much smaller. Three turkeys in the freezer was a bit much. I'll be making this again but not anytime soon. :grin:

Unfortunately, the drippings got away from me otherwise gravy would have been on the menu. When you think you've got the meat probe in the meat and it's probably in the stuffing, the bird never seems to reach temp. I finally checked it with the Thermapen and it was nearing 170. So we went from "It'll be done soon I hope" to "It's done!!"

So it goes. As experienced a cook as I am...

-Dom

Yeah, rolled / stuffed meats like that are hard to temp. Poking a pen in more than half way, and then slowly pulling it out is a lot easier than a leave in probe...

Back