Basic Pellet Grill

smokymtnjonny

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was cooking on my mother’s 25 year old BBQ 100 this last week and the ribs turned out fantastic. I just cooked on medium for awhile then smoke to finish. That got me to thinking, does anyone even make a basic pellet bbq that has that simple controller anymore? I’m not even sure you need the fancy ones.

I was cooking on my mother’s 25 year old BBQ 100 this last week and the ribs turned out fantastic. I just cooked on medium for awhile then smoke to finish. That got me to thinking, does anyone even make a basic pellet bbq that has that simple controller anymore? I’m not even sure you need the fancy ones.

Sam's Club has had one for the last few years with an old school rotary knob with numerical temp* markings and digital display at a good price, they had it on sale for Father's Day and shows out of stock online but the stores probably have plenty of them still.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/members-mark-28in-pellet-smoker-grill/prod22370756.ip

I saw a smoke hollow at kroger but it seemed overpriced at $300 but it had an old school controller.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but this is as simple as I have seen. My Pitboss is about the same as this only no on/off switch

Last edited:
I agree.
Plain works, especially with experience as the sauce.

I have a gasser as my main BBQ. But the secrets in the sauce, and how I cook, that keeps them comin back.

Medium, or low and slow, every Que has it's own sweet spot.
Once found, you can go to town.

The Daughter-In-Laws Dad cooks ONLY on lump charcoal, on a really decrepit barrel BBQ.
But it is great!
It ain't fancy. It's knowing your BBQ. And making your own signature taste. :wink:

Last edited:
The old original Traeger BBQ 100 cookers had a 3 speed switch HI, MED, and SMOKE. They worked great if you weren’t all that concerned about temperature. I made some great q on mine back in the day and was reminded of that this past weekend. The smoke setting really laid a nice, noticeable flavor on those ribs, kind of like what some of the MAK owners talk about.

Back